Figuring out Fostering

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Carrie (brood MR doe) had 10 kits.

I gave two to Rosie (small HL doe) who normally only raises three so I'm making a demand on her.
I gave three to Dorie (small polish doe) who has raised three kits in the past quite nicely so I figure she can raise four.

I left five with Carrie.

I DO NOT like how she is looking. She is thin and still remains sad looking.

Should I foster her remaining five to Slip who has kits a week older (April 26 litter)? She has four kits. She does well raising seven, so the most I can foster to her is three, which leaves two kits for Carrie, but I don't know...I have Carrie in my outdoor hutch as it's roomy and airy, and usually the place of last resort as I'm not expecting Carrie to make it.

What to do, what to do.....

thoughts?

That's a tough one. How are the five looking that you left with Carrie? If they look well-fed, you might want to wait and see. If they are not looking so good, may as well try fostering them now before they go downhill.

Do you think removing the kits will help Carrie in any way? Lessen her load and maybe give her a better chance of pulling through? Do you have any idea what the problem is? I'd be asking myself a heap of questions before making a decision of this sort.

I'm thinking she has some pregnancy toxemia (thin but swollen legs - I've had a guinea pig with the same and almost lost her, she looks similar to the piggie but not as bad) and possibly a breathing issue. I've had some ammonia issues in my tent this spring. The hot then cold weather with wind has made it difficult to vent the tent and has increased the ammonia issues. Enough that hubby complains that I smell like a rabbit when I come in and he hasn't complained all winter. So the mixed up weather this spring has made things difficult for me and for my rabbits.

What I need is a hard side building with good windows for venting.<br /><br />__________ Wed May 05, 2010 9:01 am __________<br /><br />she's not looking good, but she's still alive and eating grass and a bit of oats. fostered the three biggest kits to Slip.

the recommendation for pregnancy toxemia is sub-q injections of saline and destrose I believe.

The prognosis for pregnancy toxemia in rabbits is usually slim to none as death can occur within hours of the onset of the disease. However, if caught in the early stages, a veterinarian can administer IV fluids and dextrose. Supportive care which includes the intravenous fluids and keeping the doe warm may help her become stable enough to survive although owners should be aware that survival rates of this disease are quite low.

Regardless of what one does, prognosis is slim. I'm treating her pretty much like I did the guinea pig i had that had it as well. Lots of whatever she wants to eat (greens and oats) and time alone. minimal fuss as added stress doesn't help. The vet was surprised I saved the piggie, I'm hoping I can surprise myself and save her.

I've let two kits on her to make sure she doesn't get mastitis as she's a heavy milker.

i wish that the prickly lettuce was up as that is her all-time favourite food to eat. But I can't find any anywhere yet! it's one of the later plants to come up here.

Yes, prickly lettuce is one of the later weeds. I found some small plants in a flower bed on the south side of the house today... so it is coming. If you can find plantain, give her some of it... It's a number one all-purpose tonic plant. Good luck with her... I hope you pull her through. I think you handled the tricky fostering question very well. :)

Back