RVHD NOTIFICATION: Minnesota Outbreak of RVHD

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgeek

Reaction score
[Forum_Rabbit_Health] RVHD NOTIFICATION: Minnesota Outbreak of RVHD
*forwarded messaage*
Pamela Alley <[email protected]>

Today we were notified of a small occurrence (25 rabbits) of Rabbit Viral Hemorrhagic Disease (RVHD) in Pine County, MINNESOTA. All rabbits on the premises have died or been euthanized, and at this time there is no further known spread. However, as this 'index premises' was one which collected rabbits from multiple sources, we do not know the initial source of the disease.

Should you panic? NO! While frightening in its tenacity and ease of transmission, this disease can be managed and limited in spread by common precautions. It should never be treated lightly or disregarded.

We STRONGLY encourage those in Minnesota and the surrounding area to think carefully about any unexplained deaths in their herds and to take the appropriate steps for accurate diagnosis should symptoms and signs indicate any possibility of RVHD. If you have any doubts, contact your State Veterinarian for assistance-- or contact the Rabbit Industry Council at 530-534-7390 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              530-534-7390      end_of_the_skype_highlighting or [email protected] ***Please see further details at the end of this email!!**

We also STRONGLY encourage all shows and exhibitors to use an appropriate disinfectant (see below) on all coops, carpets, and equipment. If you are uncertain of your herd health status, please stay home until you get it straightened out.

A PDF with all this information is available at http://www.showbunny.com/RVHD/InfoSheet_06-13-05.pdf . While the document is not yet updated to the current outbreak as yet (pending further, more detailed information) , it is accurate and highly useful regarding prevention, management, and reporting of this deadly disease.

*****CURRENT OUTBREAK INFORMATION* ****

On 4-22-10, a report was made to the OIE which noted that beginning in early February of 2010, rabbits at a facility in PINE COUNTY, MINNESOTA which collected rabbits for use as food at a wildlife rehabilitation center began to die at a startling rate, with 20 dying initially. This was thought to be due to feed contamination, but as further rabbits brought onto the property also died rapidly without clinical disease, a sample was submitted to a private laboratory for analysis.

WE CANNOT PRAISE THIS FACILITY ENOUGH FOR TAKING THIS STEP! It is vital that we all investigate unexpected deaths, especially multiple deaths, with diligence and care.

The sample was suspected to be positive for RVHD and further testing was done by the Foreign Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory and found to be definitively positive on enzyme-linked immunoassay testing for Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease Virus. The property was then thoroughly decontaminated and any remaining rabbits euthanized. Free ranging rabbits in the area are being trapped and surveilled for signs of the disease. (While native species are not susceptible, it is not known if there are feral domestics in the area.)

As of this point in time, this is the limited information we have. We're working on re-establishing contacts within USDA/APHIS to be able to bring you more and more detailed information as soon as possible.

*****RVHD IMPORTANT INFORMATION* *****

Symptoms and Forms of the Disease:

The disease seems to appear in three ways; the first and most common is called PERACUTE and is simply a dead rabbit in the cage from one visit to the next.

The ACUTE form is represented by a lethargic, depressed, off-feed animal that dies in the space of 1-2 days, shows incoordination and signs of pain before death, and may show clear or bloodstained nasal froth or discharge. A temperature of 105-106 degrees F may be present upon initial examination.

A small number (<5%) may survive up to two weeks with symptoms including jaundice, diarrhea and mucous in the stool, but this is much less commonly seen.

The third form, called SUBACUTE or transient, is much milder; the rabbit may show some signs of illness, then recover and are immune.

This is the most likely source of an asymptomatic carrier animal, as infective material is shed in urine and feces for at least 30 days, and the animal itself may act as a carrier for far longer. This form is most common in animals under 4 months of age, and less common in older animals.

Prevention and Control:

The nature of the VHD organism is such that it is highly contagious, easily spread, has a varied range of morbidity (number of animals contracting the disease) and extremely high mortality (number of animals dying from the disease).

The virus is quite 'sticky'; it is easily moved about by transportation provided by animate and inanimate objects, such as clothes, shoes, show jackets, carriers, people, dogs, predators, tires, birds, etc. It is also very hardy, surviving both heat and cold handily.

Careful sanitation and disinfection are imperative to halting or limiting the spread of VHD, as is the maintenance of a closed herd.

Recommended disinfectants are those with a spectrum of activity covering Hepatitis E and Norwalk virus.

The disinfectants recommended by USDA are 2% One-Stroke Environ (Steris Corp, St. Louis, MO), .5% sodium hypochlorite, or 10% household bleach. Virkon is another brand of disinfectant which has been mentioned.

Hi,

Pamela Alley who created this alert has given permission for cross posting the RVHD alert if done in its entirety with nothing added or subtracted. It is important to have clear information at this time to minimize confusion.

These occasional outbreaks of RVHD are one reason for not releasing domestic rabbits into the wild, like the San Juans. RVHD could settle into those populations and create a disease hot spot.

Have a good day!

I am still confused. ARBA(homepage)is the only other place that mentions this. I can find nothing in AFIS/ agriculture Canada or in Border Services. This person has not even updated her own sites and the last info is from 2005.I followed a link from the USDA and found info on this disease but the update also stops at 2005. I can find nothing on the import ban from Minn. into Canada nor how it will affect those of us about to go to a show in Michigan with our own animals.Anyone got border info links they can share? Thanks.

I have to agree, the notice on the ARBA site is extremely confusing. If CANADA has banned importation of rabbits from MINNESOTA, it should mean that rabbits are not allowed to enter Canada, not that the Canadian rabbits cannot go to the US (as long as they don't come back through Minnesota) :?

Going through the border with rabbits is hard enough, this outbreak means they'll just have their pants in a knot that much more :angry:

My god why has there NOT been a ban on China meat imports??? I reread the articles and realized that the virus got here in FROZEN rabbit meat!!Yet China has unrestricted trade with the U.S. Holy moly just touching the meat in the grocery store could bring it home.I don't understand at all...Also in the UK where it is highly prevelant they have a vaccine! I think its time that we started with that if there's going to be bans and such between Canada and the U.S. :!: :!: :!:

okay. I"m very confused. WHAT BAN? there's nothing that I can see in the OP about banning rabbits from or to Canada? I know I'm on some pain killers and that makes me a little foggy but....? Someone point me to the banning part, please?

RVHD vaccine is not 100% effective and has to be updated every six months. New strains of the virus develop as it mutates. The cost of vaccine would be unmanageable for most producers in US. There is no currently approved vaccine in USA, no telling how much it would be once approved.

Current US system of euthanize and sanitize has kept the virus from gaining a foothold in USA.

Have a good day!

:rotfl:
okay okay...total thread hijaack here, but...I have this mental image of Franco sitting at his computer, a totally maniacal grin on his face, typing out "euthanize and sanitize" (in a very DALEK type voice) and then saying "Have a good day!"
:lol:

okay. Back to the thread.

We update our other animals rabies shots every year because we don't want to lose them to a horrible disease that also affects humans. I don't find that cost prohiitive because the alternative is awful.RVHD is no longer "reportable" in the UK which has a vaccine, so that should say it does help.Much like our human flu shots as well its better than nothing and lessens the severity of the disease.This thing has the potential to escalate and shut down the entire rabbitry industry. I guess I am frustrated that our goverments don't feel that the rabbit industry is worth much and only do things that make it a headache for the small producer/show person, not help.There are thousands of people with not only monetary investment but also strong emotional attachments to their rabbits, so the practice of CULLING anything that MIGHT of contacted this virus is terrible.We must realize that rabbits have a foot in both camps; agriculture and pet.

Latest posts

Back