Recipes!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Right. If we're talking about meat, we need to know how to USE it!

Since I only have experience with wild rabbit...toss in the skillet in oil, add onions, eat....I'll just start the thread :p One of the reasons to start it is that I'll soon have fryers to test things on. Some of you have posted on other sites, I know, but maybe we can do a set of recipes for newbies here!

One of the top chefs in Chicago has said that rabbit is like chicken...it adapts to any cuisine.

GOLDEN BROWN FRIED RABBIT

2 to 3 lb. fryer rabbit
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
butter/oil

Shake moist pieces of rabbit in plastic bag in flour and seasonings mix. Brown rabbit in butter/oil in heavy skillet, turning to brown evenly on all sides. Reduce heat, cover and cook slowly about 1 hour or until tender. For crisp crust on rabbit uncover for last 10 to 15 minutes of cooking time. Serves 4 to 6.

this came from the Showbunny rabbit recipe site. http://www.showbunny.com/recipes_using_rabbit.html

I liked it, but I think next time I'll make it by deboning the rabbit first, and making it more like nuggets.

rabbit nuggets :hmm: :hmm:

can you imagine the :gun: war if Mcdonalds started carrying them?

:rotfl:

would get hubby eating them. He said I like the taste, can't handle the bones (but he doesn't like bones in anything).

Ladysown, one way to deal with your hubby's dislike of bones is to debone everything. You don't even have to be fussy about getting every last bit of meat if you are making soup or stock with the bones. It sure is nice to pull a package of boneless rabbit from the freezer and have it ready for use in stews, stir-fries, casseroles etc.

One Dish Rabbit Dinner

Pour a bit of olive oil in a large baking dish with a lid. Add rice just enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Add water just to cover the rice by about one inch. Lay cut vegetables- carrots celery onions garlic or your favs on top of the rice and water.
Lay rabbit pieces or if your dish is large enough the entire rabbit on top of the veggies. Season however you like- we use lemon pepper by the bucket full and coarse salt and whatever herbs are handy at the time- normally rosemary. But any thing you like the flavor of is fine. Cover and cook on low heat -about 325 for two hours. The broth from the rabbit will flow down and flavor the rice and it will be so easy to serve a nice meal after you spent that 2 hours NOT in the kitchen. We have varied this approach with many combos- eastern seasoning- mexican style depending on what is in the garden. We have even made it with shredded cabbage. Easy and scrumptious because you retain all the flavor in the closed pot with little effort.

Another easy one is Rabbit Kraut. Lay your seasoned rabbit pieces in the oiled baking dish- cover with thinly sliced onions as many garlic cloves as you can stand to peel and a lot of sauerkraut juice included. Bake slowly and WOW what a great flavor. And cold the next day with spicy mustard mmmmmmm can't beat it.
Come on everyone! I know lots of rabbit cooks- share some great tastes!
B~

I am going to have try both those recipes,Briza, thank you for sharing. Man, I love easy!

This recipe is what I refer to as "How to get people who hate rabbit to love it". It comes from The Austrailian Women's Weekly and it uses chicken. I usually use cooked rabbit leftovers.

Lemon Cream Rabbit With Pasta

500g bow tie pasta (I use less and any short pasta will do)
1 tbsp olive oil
400g (about 1 lb, I use more)roughly chopped boneless rabbit
1 tbsp corn flour
1 tsp chicken stock (or 1 cube or 1 packet)
3/4 cup water (I usually omit chicken stock, water and use homemade rabbit or chicken stock)
1/2 cup cream
1/4 tsp grated lemon rind (I use more)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 tsp sugar
1 tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 clove garlic crushed (I use 2)
1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (I omit this)

Cook pasta. Fry rabbit in wok with oil in batches and remove. (if using cooked rabbit, skip this part). Blend the remaining ingredients, minus the parsley, pour in the wok, stir until it boils and thickens. Add the stir-fried (or previously cooked rabbit), pasta and parsley, stir till hot. Serves 4 - 6.

It's really not as complicated as it sounds, I can usually whip it up while the pasta is cooking.

Marian

I need advice on making soup or stock. I printed off instructions from the internet about making stock, it said to simmer chicken for 4-5 hours which I did for the rabbit and at that time there was hardly any water left. So I'm kinda feeling like a dummy here! :oops: Any thoughts?

Hmmm, I don't think I kept it covered, I used the biggest pot I have, I have a few buns overdue for camp so I'll try it again this weekend. Is there a ratio for how much water to use for a certain amount of carcass?

Feel like a bit of a tool, I've got some recipes down pretty good, totally no clue about others....

Truckinguy, I use about 3 rib sections for a crockpot of stock. It's hard to give exact measurements, but if you don't use enough rabbit the broth will be weak. If there is a lot of meat on the bones, you may want to pull the pieces out partway through, remove the meat and then return the bones to the stock pot. That way the meat won't lose all its flavour and can be added back to the soup in the final stages.

If you inadvertently do make the stock too watery, that is when you remove the lid and let it simmer awhile to reduce it. I like to throw in an onion with a few cloves pushed into it, a carrot, a couple of bay leaves and some black pepper, but some people prefer to leave the seasoning until the stock is made up into soup. Adding a cup or two of apple juice as part of the liquid gives the broth a lovely flavour... not sweet, but rich and mellow. Just a few ideas for you to play with!<br /><br />__________ Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:29 pm __________<br /><br />Ann, don't forget to age the meat in the fridge for 2 - 3 days before cooking or freezing it. A simple recipe is likely best for the first time or two. Do you have a favourite chicken recipe that you would enjoy adapting?

1/2 cup Preferred Barbecue Sauce
1/2 cup pineapple juice
2 tsp. grated gingerroot
2 tsp. minced fresh garlic
5lb of rabbit meat
3/4 cup preferred Steak Sauce
20 hamburger buns, partially split

HEAT grill to medium heat.

MIX barbecue sauce, pineapple juice, ginger and garlic. Place meat in disposable foil pan; cover with barbecue sauce mixture. Refrigerate 20 min.

PLACE pan on grill grate; cover with lid of grill. Cook 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until meat is done (160ºF). Remove from grill; cover with foil. Let stand 10 min.

SHRED meat with 2 forks; mix with steak sauce. Serve in buns.

Oh god...if Mike sees the BBQ recipe from Devon, we'll be doing that, ASAP. me..I'm going to try the simple crockpot with bacon wrapped, bit of apple juice. Or maybe my old standby: smother it with onions, add some wine to the pot and let it simmer for hours. :D

I've got another tasty recipe...

Sweet and sour rabbit.

Serves 4

Ingredients:

* 1 lb. Rabbit boneless
* 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
* 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1" pieces
* 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
* 1 (15 1/4-oz). can pineapple chunks in juice
* 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
* 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
* 2 tbsps. cornstarch
* 2 tbsps. soy sauce

Directions:

1. Partially freeze rabbit. Cut across the grain into 2 1/2 × 2 1/4-inch strips; set aside.
2. Preheat a wok or large skillet over high heat; add oil.
3. Stir-fry green pepper and onion in hot oil for 2-3 minutes or till crisp-tender.
4. Remove from wok. Add more oil, if necessary. Add half the rabbit to wok; stir-fry until browned. Remove rabbit; stir-fry the remaining rabbit. Return all rabbit to wok; keep warm.
5. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. In a small saucepan combine the juice, brown sugar, vinegar, cornstarch and soy sauce. Bring to a boil; cook about 1 minute or till thickened, stirring constantly.
6. Return green pepper and onion to wok. Stir in pineapple and the thickened pineapple juice mixture.
7. Cook and stir until heated through. Serve with rice, if desired.

Marian":3vcye838 said:
I am going to have try both those recipes,Briza, thank you for sharing. Man, I love easy!

This recipe is what I refer to as "How to get people who hate rabbit to love it". It comes from The Austrailian Women's Weekly and it uses chicken. I usually use cooked rabbit leftovers.

Lemon Cream Rabbit With Pasta

500g bow tie pasta (I use less and any short pasta will do)
1 tbsp olive oil
400g (about 1 lb, I use more)roughly chopped boneless rabbit
1 tbsp corn flour
1 tsp chicken stock (or 1 cube or 1 packet)
3/4 cup water (I usually omit chicken stock, water and use homemade rabbit or chicken stock)
1/2 cup cream
1/4 tsp grated lemon rind (I use more)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 tsp sugar
1 tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 clove garlic crushed (I use 2)
1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (I omit this)

Cook pasta. Fry rabbit in wok with oil in batches and remove. (if using cooked rabbit, skip this part). Blend the remaining ingredients, minus the parsley, pour in the wok, stir until it boils and thickens. Add the stir-fried (or previously cooked rabbit), pasta and parsley, stir till hot. Serves 4 - 6.

It's really not as complicated as it sounds, I can usually whip it up while the pasta is cooking.

Marian

This sounds good. Can I assume that "Corn Flour" is corn starch and not corn meal for us in the USA?

Kat

Don't know about elsewhere, but here in Ontario corn flour is not the same as corn starch. Corn starch is further refined and is used mainly for thickening. Corn flour is like corn meal, but ground to a fine powder. You could put corn meal in a blender to make a bit for the recipe rather than buying it separately. I would think corn starch would work too, since it is such a small quantity and seems to be used as a thickener.

MaggieJ":1uc5cexa said:
you may want to pull the pieces out partway through, remove the meat and then return the bones to the stock pot. That way the meat won't lose all its flavour and can be added back to the soup in the final stages.

What a great idea! I'm having one of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments :slap:

I like to simmer my stock real low for a real long time (overnight in the crockpot) but then the meat is not usable and/or unappealing.

Last night we had Rabbit Soup. I cut up garlic, onion, carrots & celery and sauted in a little oil until slightly tender. Then added stock that I had strained thru cheesecloth. Once it came to a boil, I added 8oz Ditalini pasta and cooked until almost done and then added 3 leftover cooked rabbit burgers, chopped up. It was pretty good. The pasta swelled and took up more liquid as it cooled, but I had more stock to add to save the leftovers.

I just pulled a whole rabbit that I cooked in a roasting bag with 1/2 cup apple juice at 325 degrees for 90min. It was still sort of frozen when I put it in. I'm waiting for it to cool so I can strip the meat and make stir fry. I let ya'll know how it comes out.

Kat

__________ Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:32 pm __________

MaggieJ":1uc5cexa said:
Don't know about elsewhere, but here in Ontario corn flour is not the same as corn starch. Corn starch is further refined and is used mainly for thickening. Corn flour is like corn meal, but ground to a fine powder. You could put corn meal in a blender to make a bit for the recipe rather than buying it separately. I would think corn starch would work too, since it is such a small quantity and seems to be used as a thickener.

Will do, Thanks. I might just use Wondra flour. Seems like that would be a good sub, just wouldn't have the corn flavor.

Kat<br /><br />__________ Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:32 pm __________<br /><br />The stir fry was a hit. I use 2 pkgs of Yakisoba noodles with sauce mix included that I get at my local Winco. I cut up carrots, celery, green onions and cabbage into slivers and added bite sized rabbit meat at the last minute since it was already cooked.

The rabbit in the bag worked well, although next time I will make sure it is thawed before I put it in and I think I cut to big a hole in the top. But the meat came out well and was pretty easy to strip off. Will try again for sure.

Kat

Back