What I've Done with New New Easter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't say she is sick, I can't say she isn't sick.

She sneezes but I don't see snot, but every once in a while she'll stop and look like she's just focusing on breathing. Head up and extended and being very very still. Makes me think of a rabbit who has pneumonia from being in a damp environment (which my new rabbit tent is). It will be better next winter when the tent is all dry.

So I've removed her from the rabbitry and stuck her in my outside 4 x 4 cage. She has two baby cottontails to keep her company as she does NOT like being alone. Once those cottontails get past their usefulness (and become a new form of usefulness), I'll use her as a granny bunny for young bucklings that are growing out.

That I think will be her permanent home. She can just live out there and enjoy being in a big cage with youngsters to mind.

That way my boy can enjoy her, I don't have to worry about her getting sicker again, or potentially harboring something that could make other rabbits ill.

Does that sound like a sensible plan to you all?

yes, they will be dog food or me food rabbits and they won't go in until they hit 8 weeks of age.

__________ Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:22 pm __________

well this bites.

for those of you who have faith, keep me lad in your prayers tomorrow.

His favourite bunny is dead.
She was fine yesterday when I put her out in the 4 x 4, she was fine this morning when I checked on her.

This afternoon she watched me without freaking out, hopping around and checking things out with her normal totally unflappable attitude as I cut the lawn. Justin went to play with her and the cottontails after we finished, and she couldn't hop.

Put him to bed, checked on her before I did the bunnies and when I came back afterwards to "do the deed" she was dead.

I am thankful that I didn't have to kill her, but oh my heart aches for my little boy. He loves deeply and fiercely. This will potentially be a tough one for him.

ladysown":vq0ehc70 said:
for those of you who have faith, keep me lad in your prayers tomorrow.
Awww! I'm sorry! :( BTDT, although my boy is older. Lots of hugs for your little one! :grouphug:

justin has his good moments, and his "still processing" moments. We've had a fair amount of tears.

we buried her behind our rabbit tent and planted her favourite weed on top. He worries about her because it's been rainy today and she doesn't like to get wet. (what does one say to that?). He's four so it's not the easiest to explain either.

no it's not easy to explain - nor (in my opinion) should it be easy to explain
I actually think you and he are fortunate to be able to start having discussions about death in a meaningful (grieving) way while he is young
I think it will help him in the future both with grief himself and to help him be more empathetic too

not easy though - hang in there

ladysown":35x9xlv0 said:
justin has his good moments, and his "still processing" moments. We've had a fair amount of tears.
It's never easy, especially when they're so young. Mine are older, but I had to break the news to them this morning that their first violin/viola teacher passed away last night. We've studied with her for seven years (up until last summer). It wasn't totally unexpected--she was in her late 80s and had been having health issues recently, but it was still a blow to all of us.

When our Zil buck, Smokey, died a couple of months ago, it really hit my DS13 hard. After we buried Smokey, my son made a little cross from some scrap wood and carved Smokey's name into it with his pocket knife. Then he erected it on Smokey's grave. That brought him some closure. Perhaps a similar project (suitable for his age) would help Justin?

that's why we planted her favourite weed. Justin was forever giving her stuff. It was a good way to learn what to give and what not to give a bunny. What NN Easter wouldn't eat, no other rabbit got ever. I learned rabbits can eat all sorts of garden flowers, weeds from the garden, and so forth without ill affect. And what she wouldn't eat, just never got fed and Justin would say "she doesn't like that Mommy." but my oh my did she like prickly lettuce...her ultimate fave so when we saw a small plant of it growing in the garden we said this would be good for NN Easter. And he smiled. :)

Back