Silver Marten - Otter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Not knowing how genetics work, so this is just my thinking.

Otter and Silver Martens are basically the same just a different marking colour?

So breeding a silver marten to an Otter should result potentially in either martens or otters?

Rosie (black silver marten) to Dooley (broken chocolate otter).

kit one: appears to be seal (or just a very off coloured black)
kit two: appears to be broken black otter
kit three: no clue. Thinking it is either a broken seal (as it looks off) OR a broken black silver marten (those odd lighter areas on the edges of the black). Could this be possible? and how do I tell if it is a broken black silver marten? The light areas against a white background....... it's a bit of a tough call at 9 days of age. Just wondering if any of you "more aware of genetics and colours" people out there could give me some pointers as to what to look for?

A black Silver Marten is basicly a chinchilla rabbit, and a black Otter is a castor. Breeding the two together would get you otters and whatever other recessives they may carry. The Otter would have to carry chinchilla to produce Silver Martens. Telling Martens from Otters may be tricky on a broken, since the feet and belly will be white. Check behind the ears, around the nostrils for any brown, also the ear edges.

so if I understand you correctly honorine, the chances of kit number three being a broken silver marten aren't very high? it's more likely to be a broken seal?

the only reason I think kit #2 is an otter is there are faint traces of brown on the ears. I"m seriously hoping its a doe. :)

Do you have pics? A seal would also have the chinchilla gene.Being a broken you may never know untill it has a litter itself. Sort of like the magpie harlequins and their white feet not showing up!

I will never understand rabbit colours - NEVER
though knowing silver marten is a chinchilla variation makes sense as mum is chinchilla and one kit is black silver marten (maybe black... I dont even know what black is anymore- LOL)

http://www.debmark.com/rabbits/gene...l]http://www.debmark.com/rabbits/genetics.htm<br /><br />__________ Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:30 pm __________<br /><br />Ok I don't know why its not linking? it worked in the preview.

Lauren is right, to be a seal it would also have to carry chinchilla, so it could be a silver marten or a seal. Chinchilla is a complex gene, this article is written by one of my best buddies, explains it very clearly and easily.

http://www.chini-mini.com/CHLgene.html

Would love to see pictures!

i'm hoping to get good pic this afternoon, and then will post of my litter and mom/dad too. :)<br /><br />__________ Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:25 pm __________<br /><br />
Feb232010151.jpg

seal

Feb232010148.jpg

black silver marten

Feb232010147.jpg

black otter

mypicsnewcamera110.jpg

Mom is a black silver marten doe (so I've been told). Though her black isn't sharp like the black on Magic... so sometimes I wonder if she's a something else silver marten, though what I wouldn't have the faintest clue. From her I've gotten gold tipped steel, black, seal, black silver marten, and one chinchilla.

augustpicsallrabbits028.jpg

Dad is a broken chocolate otter.

The way it was explained to me not getting into the "C" color gene- chin. and the "AT" color gene- otter to much. Topic and study goes on forever with the genotype and phenotype color rules.

A agouti or otter will have fawn or orange ticking, diamond on the back, and "V" on the nose.

A Chin or Silver Martin will not have orange or fawn color.

That is the difference when looking at the rabbit.
If you have a chin or agouti blow into the fur and you willl see a ring pattern. Once again the way to figure one from the other is if that orange or fawn mingled into the fur.

it wasn't black, it was an odd colour. She had another one like that and a breeder who had more experience than I did came in to see that one and when I said what the heck is this, said, oh that...it's a seal. I took her at her word. It's not quite black. It was like a sepia colour.

Your doe looks like she is definitely a silver marten. She is just a little faded.
I don't know much about genetics, but a seal looks like an extremely dark chocolate. They almost look black.

Emily

that would describe that kit really well. in certain light you'd think black, but in good light you'd say... what is that...not quite black, it has this brown overtone to it...so is it a really dark brown rabbit or a weird black rabbit? :)

Back