How long do you keep the nest box in?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinityoaks

Reaction score
Today is Day 37 for Pola and Day 35 for Chica. Lots of hay being pushed around and eaten, but not much else. At what point should I give up and try to breed them again? Chica has never been pregnant, as far as I know. Pola has had several litters, but not for me yet.

I'd take it out after day 35, especially if I can't palpate anything, because by then it should be blatantly obvious there is or isn't anything in there.

If they palpate negative at day 35 I'll re-breed them.

I'm not sure they'll hold still for a palpating, nor that I could successfully feel anything if they did. I'll give it a try, but it'll have to be tomorrow before I can do it.

Being a member of the "Belt AND Suspenders Club" I would leave the nest box in until Day 37 or 38... especially if there is no reason to be in a hurry to take it out. What harm is it doing? And on the off-chance that one of the does is just VERY late, at least they have a place to kindle.

if it's truly 37 days I'd pull the box soon but if you aren't sure there is usually no harm in leaving it awhile longer (as maggie says)

Joy chose a permanent litter box to build her nest - it's working well so I'm leaving it alone

(I had cleaned them all out on day 29 and she gave birth that night so it was unused)

Latest posts

Back