Advice on my experiment

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farm Girl

Reaction score
I am planning on doing an experiment with 2 rabbits.
One will get only pellets and the other one will only get greens (or other natural things like that)
So then I can see which one grows the fastest, and which one tastes best, and also has the best coat.
Anyway I was wondering how much feed I should feed each one, and what would be the equivalent of 1 cup of pellets in greens.
when I say greens I mean clover, plantain, dandelion, & strawberry, if that makes a difference.

They will be about 4 weeks old when I get them.

Thanks in advance, Farm Girl

oatmeal is oats, rolled flat. So yes, it's a grain. Oats has a protein level of 12%, btw.

I'd think you will want to supply alfalfa hay for the "greens" buns. Good protein, and the fiber will keep their innards moving along.

I agree with the above advice.

They did a similar experiment during WW2 in Britain, during rationing, to see if they could raise rabbits on just greens. They did okay, but were considered too lean for people's tastes at that time. I expect growth was slower, however. This was not a problem to them because their goal was to raise meat on greens not utilized as food by people. I strongly recommend that addition of alfalfa hay, grain and mineral/salt block if you want to maximize growth. The British found that the addition of cooked potatoes to the rabbits' diet helped growth rates and aided fattening. Grain was reserved for other purposes during the war.

Your experiment will teach you a lot, but you need to keep in mind that the sample is not large enough to say with certainty that the results are entirely due to the feeding regimen. Except in the matter of your preference in taste.

Thanks for all the advice. I just thought it would be a fun experiment, and I knew (quote) "that the sample is not large enough to say with certainty that the results are entirely due to the feeding regimen." :)

That will be a very interesting experiment. I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
Will you be feeding any hay to your rabbit that is on pellets?

Emily

Silver Star Rabbitry":1cbuu7jx said:
That will be a very interesting experiment. I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
Will you be feeding any hay to your rabbit that is on pellets?

Emily
I am not sure, that is why I posted this I would like any suggestions.
Do you think I should feed hay?

in my experience hay can really help a rabbit's digestive tract work well - I'm not sure how long you plan to raise the babies - but I think hay is important to overall health

The ones on pellets...you'll want to use a grass hay for them, NOT alfalfa since the pellets are based on alfalfa. (grass hay is usually cheaper, too) Hay does help with digestive health in most herbivores (if not all). It also gives them something to do :) I know you don't NEED to give the short haired rabbits hay, but I have to wonder if it doesn't help keep them healthier over the long run.

Farm Girl":1l6y1lfh said:
Thanks for all the advice. I just thought it would be a fun experiment, and I knew (quote) "that the sample is not large enough to say with certainty that the results are entirely due to the feeding regimen." :)

Ouch! I didn't mean to sound pretentious. :oops:

Maggie I didn't think you sounded pretentious, And I didn't mean to make it sound that way,sorry :oops: , I just couldn't think of how to phrase what I was trying to say, so I just quoted what you said. ( I wasn't thinking very strait before :roll: )

I finally got my bunnies today. I am pretty sure they are both boys, they are sooo cute but aren't all bunnies? :D
These bunnies are about 4 1/2 weeks old, so how many pellets do a new zealand cross rabbit that age eat?

~ Farm Girl ~

Farm Girl":v52s1wxr said:
These bunnies are about 4 1/2 weeks old,
Are you sure about that age? That's awfully young to be weaned from the doe!

so how many pellets do a new zealand cross rabbit that age eat?
I think that I would feed them free choice until they reach close to full-grown size, then about a cup a day should be enough. Make sure you give them plenty of free-choice grass hay, as well.

Hi, I am sorry I didn't answer until now I was gone all weekend, and was very very busy :)
Anyway I am not totally sure on the age probably 5 weeks. It might sound to soon to wean, but sometimes the mothers just wean them before
6 weeks (that is the weaning age right?)

I named the bunnies Peter & Potter, they are so cute ( I can't stop saying that ) :D
Here are a couple pictures of them.

I will get a pic of Peter later :)

Attachments

• php1ocHUHPM.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 884
Back