Worm bed finally finished...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellistattoo

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at raising worms. I got 2 pounds of red wigglers a few months back and had them in a plastic tub until I got the bed framed up for them. I've got a tarp under everything, the bottom layer is straw, next is old horse manure, then wet shredded newspaper, compost, and cardboard on top. Been going about a week now, the worms seem happy! :D

Just got some used coffee grounds from starbucks today, they should like that.

Attachments

• phpXU3wAWPM.jpg
    phpXU3wAWPM.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 2,205
  • php5xgVWyPM.jpg
    php5xgVWyPM.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 2,205
  • phpdhrV30PM.jpg
    phpdhrV30PM.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 2,205
Looks great! Keep us updated on their progress- I would love to start a worm bed too at some point.

I was under the impression that the worms wouldn't "do" citrus fruit?

That yellow rind in the pic is an iranian lemon, you can see the size of it next to the egg shells. The next day I picked it up and there was a ball of worms underneath going to town on it! I'll check it out tomorrow and snap some pics...

BTW AnnClaire, your profile photo is too cute! What breed of bunny is that?

How does the poop get to them with the cardboard on top? Keep in mind..."I don't know nuthin' 'bout raising no worms...." LOL

Well that makes two of us, I'm way new at this! I just pick up the cardboard every other day and let it roll underneath, when the cardboard breaks down I just add another layer to the compost sandwich and top with new cardboard. I know, not the best method! If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears!!! :)

I really like that set up! I've been using tarps to divert waste into buckets for building raised beds, but the tarps get nasty really fast, even with rinsing. I'm looking forward to setting up worm bins under my cages. Your frames look good.

ellistattoo":186xmbk9 said:
That yellow rind in the pic is an iranian lemon, you can see the size of it next to the egg shells. The next day I picked it up and there was a ball of worms underneath going to town on it! I'll check it out tomorrow and snap some pics...

BTW AnnClaire, your profile photo is too cute! What breed of bunny is that?

Cool, I know the regular earthworms that habitate in my compost piles don't "do" the citrus, but other bugs will so I will put a certain amount in mine ... I try to limit it because it draws ants ... the red "piss ants" that bite and sting :p

That avatar is my REW English Angora just after being sheared :lol:

This is him just after being plucked 3 months later:

pluckedbun.jpg

Latest posts

Back