BRODY!! about Franklin

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hehehe - for those who don't know Franklin is a satin angora who arrived here paralysed - probably due to a broken back sustained when a dog got into his former rabbitery - the injury was exacerbated by transport - he has been quite inspirational

he doesn't have a buddy yet (given 4 more jw popples are filling a nest box he just may have tosoon though!) he is a total pet with the dogs and cats though ;) quite funny to see

he can wiggle his toes a little but not by choice it just kind of fires on him sometimes but he can't bend his legs at all

he went through a thing this winter where he couldn't get nutrition from food - he lost big weight (over 20%) - got horrible cow patty poop and scared me quite a bit - now on timothy hay and timothy pellets (tiny amounts) and starting with fresh food again he seems to be bouncing back - phew ...

he is a character through and through ... he likes to pull himself to my feet and sit on them when he can - so I'll be working away at the bench in the basement then suddenly feel a weight - look down and you'd think I had a single bunny slipper on :)

he spends most of his day in a double guinea pig cage on a crate mat for dogs (or his butt gets sore)

the most frustrating thing about him is trying to keep him clean because he can't lift his butt poop and pee collects around his tail - daily butt baths manage it but it sure isn't perfect yet

okay. you NEED a butt cart for him :) Like they have for small dogs. If he could be strapped into it, his poos would drop down and not get onto his tail. maybe. Let's see what we can come up with. If you had to guess, is he about the size of an english angora? maybe 5 lbs? (if he were fat, that is).

There would be two ways to make one...an axle, with a sling. like... an open box of metal(or wood), vertical, that had wheels attached to it on the bottom side, and a sling hung from the top. His little fuzzy hind quarters get put in the sling.

another would be a miniature flat wagon, possibly even just 2 wheels, that has a platform for his hind end, and some form of harness to attach it to. hmm. could even be a cat harness, where the straps from the wagon just loop around the harness.

geez. how strange a conversation.

LOL
they have carts for bunnies apparently - to tie a prey animal into a cart seems cruel to me in some way but your point about keeping his butt up is intersting ... and yah I'd say he would be 5.5 pounds in perfect condition - he's not a little boy

Thing is...in the cart, he's not having to drag his hind end around as dead weight. The cart is small enough that it's like legs. Just big enough to fit his bum. Think "wheelchair". Actually makes him MORE mobile. Although laying on your feet might be...um...interesting. :D

his hind legs don't really bend so I'm not sure he wouldn't wipe himself out on a cart - but I'm game to try anything to improve his quality of life ... :)

and mine ;)

Back