What to give new moms?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinityoaks

Reaction score
What herbs/greens/etc. can I give my does to help them recover faster from kindling? The two Zils that kindled today are lying in their cages panting (and it's not even warm--not cold, either). This is a first litter for one, second for the other. The Cal doe that kindled yesterday doesn't seem to be having any trouble.

Thanks, Devon! We actually have dandelions for the first time since we've lived here (wet winter). I'll pick up some parsley at the grocery store this evening. Would dried parsley work ok, too?

Dandelions, plantain (the lawn weed, Plantago major) and comfrey are all good. Any dark leafy greens are going to tempt their appetites. Sounds as though the kindling tired them, but they will likely feel better by tomorrow. How is the air circulation in the garage?

And now that I think about it, how is the humidity? Seems to me I remember ADV mentioning that his Zils were not good in high humidity. Just a thought.

No plantain or comfrey here, but I did gather up some dandelion leaves.

How do you convince a rabbit that greens are food? My Zils attack the stuff, but the Cals sniff at it and walk away. :?

It's dry here, although we've had some rain. I could open the windows in the garage an inch or two, if need be. It's certainly not humid out there, though. It's a two-car garage, so it's pretty big.

Maybe just crack a window... not too much because you don't want the kits in a draft. It was just a thought and it sounds like that's not the problem... if there is a problem at all.

Aromatic greens may tempt the Cals to try it. Basil is a favourite with many rabbits. Even parsley has a very distinctive odor. Try bruising the leaves or tearing them to release the smell. It may take a few days for them to get the idea... but once they do they will love the greens. Leave the dandelions or whatever with them, as Ann says, but remove any uneaten greens the next day before they have a chance to spoil.

I have found the our rabbits like the following:
rosemary
willow
raspberry/blackberry excl fruit
grape stems/leaves
oat grass sproats (rampant after washing out pans in the yard over winter)

After kindling I try to provide fresh greens to boost their protein and moisture intake.

Latest posts

Back