lethargic?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uumom2many

Reaction score
I think Flora is sick. She's not being very active and is lethargic. I washed her hind quarters cause she got really dirty from yesterday like she's not moving much and just peeing on herself and she didn't even move when i put her feet under the faucet. I put her back in the cage and she just sat there not even trying to dry herself. I'm not sure if she's eating or drinking. Her tummy feels really full but the other bunny feels simiar.

Can someone please reassure me i'm not a horrible bunny owner and these things happen sometimes to babies? I only had her 5 days. The vet did an xray and said she'd never seen a bunny so backed up inside, from her esophogas into her intestines. Her breathing was very light and shallow and her heartbeat was at 100 (instead of 2-300). She had some crusty discharge from her nose and her temp was low. Her hips and spine felt like they were outside her body. The vet didn't do an autopsy adn wouldn't give me her back after they put her down so I have no idea what happened. The vet said there was "much less than a 50/50 chance" if we treated her that she'd recover.

Now I'm paranoid about Conner that was her litter and cage mate. He's eating, moving and pooping though but he's got a bit of large belly.

It DOES happen. Rabbits and chickens are just...fragile inside. They can survive odd strange and nasty accidents..and I'm learning that others will just keel over and die and leave you feeling like a moron.

Sounds like she had a problem from earlier..if you only had her 5 days, and she was backed up from esophogas to the intestines..that's a LONG time of buildup.

Are you feeding grassy hay? That helps tremendously on a daily basis...it's like giving you and the kids fiber in your diet. Keeps things moving. The other thing that helps is a piece of banana or papaya daily. The papaya has an enzyme in it that eats away at the hair they sometimes ingest.

Hay is particularly important with angoras. As long as Conner is moving and pooping, that's good. Keep an eye on him and keep his diet high in fiber.<br /><br />__________ Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:46 pm __________<br /><br />The other thing I'm learning FAST is that, like chickens, you try to be ahead of the game with rabbits. Since they're prey animals, they instinctively know NOT to show if they're sick. Usually, by the time they show symptoms, it's too late. SO, you keep your feeding on a regular basis, you feed GOOD quality, regulate the treats (fat bunny=unhealthy bunny...sigh...but they're so CUTE!) and keep an eye on the mood and poops.

I too would be very worried about Conner .. baby rabbits are bright and active unless they are scared - he should be monitored closely for eating and drinking .. his butt should stay clean by itself ...if any of that changes I'd run him to the vet

how much fresh have you fed them? did their diet change in any way since they came to you?
my radar is worried it's a food related blockage of some sort

He's doing okay. I put some VetRx on his nose. He's eliminating just fine but is a little dirty on his feets, though he was in a cat carrier for a few days before going outside. I only gave him one little piece of collard greens quite a few days ago but they were running around my house for a few days and other peoples homes before that.

I think I heard Duncan sneeze when I went out earlier. I have to put hte VetRx on his nose and watch him, though he's eating just fine.

So sorry you lost Flora, Crystal. It sounds to me as though the problem started before you got her and was likely made worse by the stress of going to a new home. Keep a close watch on Conner. Particularly watch his poops. If they keep coming and are normal, there is a good chance that he will not be affected by this problem. Feeding grass hay is an excellent idea and I would also start him on fresh foods in small quantities. A couple of dandelion leaves for starters and build up from there.

Back