Newborn care?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinityoaks

Reaction score
How often should I do a complete check of all the kits? I did pull the nest boxes after the does were finished cleaning up, took all the bedding out, counted all the kits, and returned all of the still-clean bedding, along with adding fresh bedding as needed. I've also been doing a visual every so often (ok, I've been sitting there and watching them--better than TV :oops: ). I've seen one doe actually in the nest box with her kits--hopefully feeding them.

I know that on Day 10 I need to do a complete pull again, with fresh bedding.

I check daily for the first week or so. You don't want to find a dead kit that's been in there for several days. :cry: After that, every few days I'll just put my hand in to feel that they're warm and moving.

I do the same as HCF. If I miss one day, I don't stress about it... but, heck, its fun taking a look at the little guys so who wants to pass it up? On the other hand, I don't usually check them more than once day because some does are a little stressed by this the first few days.

I check twice daily until eyes are open, then once a day until they are becoming creepers and then I handle each bunny individually twice a day. MOST of mine go to pet homes so I want them good and tame.

ladysown":2t8zoxms said:
MOST of mine go to pet homes so I want them good and tame.

Good point. These five (I hope) litters will likely be sold as pets (Cal-Zil crosses) or show bunnies (Cals), so it would be good to have them well-socialized to humans.

Back