Nest Box Eye: cures/tips

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
keep the eye clean as possible. Check twice/day. change nest box out day nine. One drop optimyxin (over the counter eye drops) in the affected eye.

I've also used tea bags on kits with really bad eyes. Two...one recovered nicely after two days, the other was a runt and just couldn't get over it...so culled it out.

I just made a batch of chamomille tea, cooled it and used qtips to rub over the eyes of two kits.

Virtually minutes later both eyes were open! They had been crusted over and shut tight. Quite remarkable...

I always keep a tube of the Terramycin Opthamalic eye ointment here on hand. I've only had to use it once for a kit with nestbox eye but have used it on a baby goat before with an eye infection also. You can order it from Hoeggers or Jeffer's online but TSC sell's it & no shipping either.
Good to have on hand just in case.

I make sure the nestbox stays clean. Remove deceased offspring as soon as they are found (I thoroughly check the box every day). I clean the box out completely when the kits are 9 days old (right before they open their eyes) and as necessary - some does insist on using their nestbox as a litter box. I remove the box when the kits are 2 weeks old, or if it is very cold, 3 weeks.

I've never had a case of nestbox eye, but I have had a couple of eye infections. I use a powder called "NFZ Puffer". First I use a warm and damp rag to clean the eye, then apply the powder according to directions on the bottle. I bought mine at the local feed store.

I take the same preventative measures as April does. On the rare occasions I have had kits with nest box eye, I find chamomile or black tea to be effective. I tried an OTC eye ointment for humans but did not have much success with it.

I had one kit last winter whose eye just would not clear up. I finally gave up on it and intended to cull it. But I got busy and procrastinated... and the eye suddenly improved on its own. I speculate that I was trying too hard and perhaps irritating the eye in the process. Something to bear in mind in stubborn cases.

cereshill":3lkoj8q1 said:
I had already changed the box material...

Don't feel bad! Changing the bedding in the box helps, but sometimes kits will develop nest box eye in spite of all we can do. It happens to most of us, one time or another... which is why it's good to know simple ways of dealing with it.

I seem to notice the problem occur more when it is dry. Actualy, here, that is this time of year more than not, because all the humidity "freezes" out of the air and the hay gets very dry. I have taken to putting a drop or two of eyedrops (Murine, Visine, etc.) in every eye that is not open or has any "goopy" substance in the corner on my "10-day" check. This has seemed to prevent any problems, and is much easier than worrying about an eye that is "gooped" shut a couple of days later.

Latest posts

Back