Grunting Does

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pheasant283

Reaction score
Have a couple of Rex Does, One bred & one not sure, didnt think she was but might be. Have been bred for a little over 2 weeks. When you go up to cage or try and pet them they make grunting sounds, and sometimes stomp. Is this typical for a bred doe??

for some, yes it is. for others, they'll become shy. others still will become more friendly, and others will become cage protective (different attitude than aggressive though looks quite similar).

i should add, I do like to make good mental notes (and sometimes written notes) on what my does are like when
1. they are in the mood
2. when they are 10 days preggeers
3. when they are 28 days preggers
4. when they are going to kindle
5. what they are like when they Do kindle

THEN if anything is off I can be more proactive.

What i've learned is
1. some does I can move to a kindling cage day 28 and they will kindle just fine. Others you do that and they kindle late, or they kindle with difficulty etc.
2. seasonal changes affect some rabbits
3. some rabbits are growlers the whole time, they kindle and voila...sweethearts. AND vice versa!!!
4. that some does will stop eating one or two days before due date, therefore no need to put box in too early. AND OTHERS>..give them a box day 15 prevents them from scrambling their food (when the digging/nesting urge starts to hit).

saves LOTS of aggravation.

I love the grunting when I put them in with the buck-=- it really cracks me up.
The go in circles grunting away, flicking tails, then calm and raise. He eagerly hops after them with an apparent grin!

So if a doe grunts and acts pissed off, and wants nothing to do with the buck. Does this mean she is bred?? Or not. Have a rex doe I didn't think got bred the first go round. Palpated @ 2 weeks didn't really think I could feel anything, but hard to tell. So put her in with buck and she just grunted, and wanted nothing to do with the buck. Does this mean maybe she is bred?

It my mean she is bred... or it may just mean that she is not in the mood. No way to tell, that I can see. I don't like exposing a doe to a buck if she is "maybe" bred... I prefer to wait out her time and try again.

Latest posts

Back