Sexing Newborn kits **pics**

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneAcreFarm

Reaction score
Here are a couple pics that show how to accurately sex newborn kits...

newborndoe.jpg
Notice how there is no space between the two?

newbornbuck.jpg
Notice the space between the two?

This is best done before they really fur out.

Sorry, I should have put bigger labels but the pics were labeled so I thought that would work....

I've sexed newborn mice and rats the same way, and even newborn kittens are the same in that males have more distance to allow for their testicles, I believe.

I have 5 new born litters I tried this on. I marked the foot of the females with a permanent marker so I can see if I was right or not. Some were very iffy. your little pics don't wiggle and squirm as much as those new babies do. I only marked the ones I thought I was sure about. Some I though might be females but I didn't mark them unless I was reasonably sure.

I used these pics to sex my kits. I came up with 1 female, 4 male and 2 question marks. LOL

These pics are very helpful though. Thanks for sharing them!

Wow thanks! I've got litters on the way due any day and it'll be interesting to see how right I can get them lol.

also with my blacks, the females are born with little white dots on their nipples which go away after a few days.

Great thread, I've sexed young mice like this but didn't happen to think it might work on newborn kits. Will this still work at a few days old?

K...I learn somthing on here every day. Now out to the barn to sex the litter of 10 born last night. Wish me luck. :) I have been waiting because that is what I have been told.
Thanks Oneacre. Again, you are the bomb. :explode:

It is great information, but why would one want to mess with newborns when there are several reasons not to? Not criticizing here, just curious.

avdpas, what are your reasons not to? I have found it to be beneficial in many ways- checking health, checking for any dead, and it makes for wonderfully tame and friendly rabbits. My does are not bothered by it, and always get a treat while I check the kits.

This will help me get a better idea of what I have... or will have unless it works on kits older than 10 days.

question, what ages is it hard to tell the gender of them? Since I know there is a time when they can't be sexed for whatever reason while they are under breeding age.

RabbitPhotoGirl":w1s19vhr said:
This will help me get a better idea of what I have... or will have unless it works on kits older than 10 days.

question, what ages is it hard to tell the gender of them? Since I know there is a time when they can't be sexed for whatever reason while they are under breeding age.

I am not sure, RPG....I have found that once your eyes are used to looking at the teeny tiny hoo-hahs, you just get used to what they are supposed to look like at different stages...

OneAcreFarm":1gsfsw5o said:
once your eyes are used to looking at the teeny tiny hoo-hahs...

snort giggle snort

I say hoo-hahs too

Back