Homemade waterer ***Important Update***

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
Here is a pic of a waterer I made today, using the stem-valve from BASS:

IMG_6052.JPG

I wanted a wide mouth so it would be easy to clean, so I used a big plastic jar. A 5 gallon bucket would work great in a colony setting, and you could even add more valves. I pre-drilled my hole with a small bit first, followed by a 5/8" bit so it wouldn't wander all over when I was trying to drill the large hole. I cut the little lips of plastic left over from the drilling with a scalpel. I wrapped the threads of the valve with Teflon tape, and screwed it in with the dikes. So far it doesn't seem to be leaking, and Feather and her kits are happy to have a familiar water valve to use in their temporary cage.

That is really neat- I never thought of that! We used similar steps to built waterers out of huge pvc pipes and metal nipples for our pigs during the fair and never had any trouble with them leaking so I am sure your waterer will do fine! Thanks so much for sharing!

I have some friends that used a wine barrel with a dog "lixit" water valve for their pigs. It worked great and was very decorative in a rustic way!

you just showed me that what I was wondering about a few years ago WOULD work-- thanks for doing the experimentation for us!!!

I had hesitated making one before because I thought I would have to use silicone for the seal, but this is is still working, and leak free!

I'm glad that Feather and her litter could be of service as product testers. :D

I would caution everybody to make your "pilot hole" with a smaller bit, so when you drill with the correct diameter bit it has a guide to "bite" into and doesn't wander. You want a nice round hole so the valve fits tightly and doesn't leak.

MamaSheepdog":2cypcssr said:
I had hesitated making one before because I thought I would have to use silicone for the seal, but this is is still working, and leak free!

I'm glad that Feather and her litter could be of service as product testers. :D

I would caution everybody to make your "pilot hole" with a smaller bit, so when you drill with the correct diameter bit it has a guide to "bite" into and doesn't wander. You want a nice round hole so the valve fits tightly and doesn't leak.

Very nice, Sistah! I like it....gonna have to try something like that myself.

The baby bunnies were licking the glass in the tank, which I thought was very odd. I checked the waterer and it wasn't working! ACK! :x Turns out they had consumed enough water to create a vacuum, so I loosened the lid. I plan to drill a hole in the lid to vent it.

Back