Rabbit sales - help!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinityoaks

Reaction score
Wow! I wasn't expecting this! I went to a feed store today to look for nest boxes. I don't usually go to this one because they don't seem to carry much in the way of rabbit equipment and supplies. The manager asked me whether I had any rabbits available. I told her that I have five does due next week, and she wants me to call her once the kits are ready for weaning. She is especially interested in my Cal-Zil crosses (which I had planned to send to freezer camp), since they'll likely be smaller than the purebred Cals.

I have no idea how to set this up, how much to ask for them, etc. Help!! :eek:

I simply try to cover my feed costs.... of course it would be nice to actually make some money once in a while. They won't be ready for at least 6 weeks or so. I guess the question is, does the person want them for resale, or for her own use? It might be nice to explore that a bit with her. If she is going to purchase them for resale, or to fatten for her own consumption, it might be good not to ask too much, in hopes of establishing steady business. Most of the breeders I have talked to around here do much better with repeat customers than with advertising and individual sales. I just got to know a fellow in the next town over and he has a foreign fellow that only wants older rabbits. That works great as he can always be bring a few up for breeding and then have a good market for the ones that don't perform as well. The guy gives him "top" dollar for 10-12 lb (live) rabbits.

Top dollar here is probably not what it is around a more metropolitan area. I think he gets 10-12 dollars for older rabbits, but they are breeding culls, and most people don't want older rabbits.. I usually try to get at least $6.50 for young (live) meat rabbits, but often I will take as low as $5 if someone takes 5 to 10. In this area, that is about what it is going to cost to feed them and cover the expenses of raising their parents.

Many places one can get a lot more, especially if they are willing to butcher. When I sell 12 week old breeding stock, I usually get $12.... but these are mixed meat rabbits, and I am not trying to sell, just cover expenses.

What ever you charge, it might be best to be on the low side, with a disclaimer that you might have to change the price for later rabbits, once you get your cost figured. Hopefully, there are some more breeders in the area that can advise you on what meat rabbits sell for there.

Near as I can tell, she wants rabbits she can sell (probably mainly as pets) to her customers at the feed store. This feed store is in town, rather than out of the way, so they would likely get more pet traffic than most.

Would it better to sell them to her outright, or on consignment? Should I do like some here and offer to take them back (to go into my freezer) if someone doesn't want them, or is that not appropriate for this situation? Should I make up a rabbit-care booklet to go with the rabbits?

I'd suggest outright sale so you're down with it. Tell her you'll take them back (but not reimburse her) if they don't sell. A booklet is a good idea - basic info and a few useful websites. Good luck!

$10.50 to $12.00 depending on size& who I'm selling to meat fryer vs. pet/breeding stock is higher .

__________ Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:50 am __________

.tell the feed store they need to stock rabbit equimpment as well as giving them a few website to help find it for them, get to know the store managers.the more you can help them make money the more he will buy from you .this is making your own market.

__________ Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:54 am __________

trinityoaks I see your in Texas where abouts???

__________ Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:02 am __________

trinityoaks": said:
Near as I can tell, she wants rabbits she can sell (probably mainly as pets) to her customers at the feed store. This feed store is in town, rather than out of the way, so they would likely get more pet traffic than most.

Would it better to sell them to her outright, or on consignment? Should I do like some here and offer to take them back (to go into my freezer) if someone doesn't want them, or is that not appropriate for this situation? Should I make up a rabbit-care booklet to go with the rabbits?[/quote:]
never take back rabbits, you never know what they might expose your heard to the feed store will understanod..this , they sell meds. Just be careful.

Sell outright if there are other rabbits from other sources there (Quarrentine/health issues). If there will be only yours, a consignment thing might make sense as you can take back the unsold ones for freezer camp. Quite the benefit ; you will get some cash and maybe get some meat back that you didn't have to feed or look after for a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back