Drugs of choice to have on hand?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
What are people drugs of choice to have on hand.

Ivermectin. I like it more than bimectin which is supposed to be the same, but I find less issues using ivermectin horse paste over bimectin horse paste (toxicity issues). Best for mites/parasites etc.

Piperazine is supposed to be a more effective wormer from what I read and hear. Anyone know the right dosage to use? that is something I don't know.

Sul-met or corid for coccidiosis.

what else is there?

AND for those without a good rabbit vet...where does one find these meds?

Ivermectin for worming, baby pepto in case of diarrhoea, baby oval (gas drops) in case of weanling enteritis, and electrolytes. Whenever we bring in new rabbits we usually buy a bag or two (depending on how fast we go through one) of medicated feed for cocci.

Although I think PenG would be something else to have on hand.

Is there a good book or something that would be an easy reference? I just got the two new kits and now am wondering if I should medicate before introducing them to Duncan. I just got some VetRx coming on a recomendation from the breeder I used. She said it helps with sniffles and other stuff like that. You can get it on amazon.

I really don't believe in medication unless needed - you should be isolating the babies for (depending on yoru point of view) 2-6 weeks though - and I mean really isolating - not simply housing them on the other side of the barn or house ...

Latest posts

Back