The Great Rabbit Escape (Fifi a French Lop)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thawkwood

Reaction score
I found this videoclip while google searching a favorite Animal Planet TV series of mine called Barking Mad. This deals with a rabbit mistakenly sexed as a female but is a male that lived in a backyard pen that kept getting loose. I wonder what rabbit keepers here think of the rabbit expert's advice?

The animal was a house rabbit that was put outside in a pen in the garden.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoUXLuLwn3g[/youtube]

i love the advice to enrich the environment and the making the house safer for fifi to hang out in the house more - it sounds like they are on the path to having a lovely family pet again :)

Some of the information was useful. I found it unbelievable though that none of those "experts" pointed out that chicken wire is not adequate to keep rabbits in or predators, including dogs, out. I did not care for the staged, cutesy way that the information was presented either, but that is merely a matter of taste.

good points Maggie - but i guess if they were looking for a larger audience cute matters..

Maggie,
I agree that the cage wire/Chicken Wire is a poor excuse for caging material
for any animal. They should look into something a bit more substantial.
Perhaps 1 X 1 cage wire and sinking at least a foot under the ground
and bent a foot or two in to prevent possible digging out.
Sorry but the speakers in the video do not appear that educated in
the ways and needs of a rabbit. All they were interested in was [Giggle]
She is a He and the rest was just another bunch of flutter!
As always, JMPO your mileage may differ.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Compared to many of the videas i watch i didn't find it too cutesy - just uncomfortable people trying to help house rabbits be happier - it may be worth noting the predator issue in the UK is not quite the same issue as here too (no racoons, coyotes) cats and dogs could certainly be a problem though :)

Just watched that...and that is VERY British. They love all their animals. (except foxes) You should see some of the ones about calves in the house! :rotfl:

That video was done for the BBC, so it's got to be very sweet and er, genteeeeel for mass market. There are hundreds of videos available from the CCtv and other programs in the UK.

I loved the ideas for what to give Fifi to do in his habitat. a carrot under a plastic pot...hanging a large leaf up so he can swat at it to eat...cool.

Why does FIFI need a companion????!! These people don't seem to be able to look after him properly never mind a second one.. why oh why is this always the "answer"?? They are just asking for double trouble and if they get a doe even more rabbits.. putting another buck with him when he has been well established there is just not going to work. And he has been lucky that a fox hasn't got him yet...

If I recall the episode correctly Fifi was neutered so reproduction isn't likely to be an issue. But you're right - suitable companions can't just be buying a second rabbit and putting him/her in the same pen and expecting them to get along. From what I know European Rabbits have a fairly complex social hierarchy.

It also looks to be that they were getting the house better suited for a rabbit to live in it...

I have a French lop & his name is Samson. He is all black & just wonderful. He is neutered as well. He came to me this way. Someone just did not want him & My Daughter fell in love. He is so sweet you can do anything. Even walk him on a leash. He is also litter pan trained!This year she wants to show him off to he class for Easter :) He is just like Fifi cause he is always trying to escape any pen I put him in. I think they are just an adventurous breed!

Back