Baby Bunnies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on the breeds, I'm assuming these are going to be meat rabbits.

I can tell you from experience, it's much easier to part with them when the time comes if they dont have names and you have not gotten overly attached to them.

The first letter of the does name plus the first litter of the sires name followed by a number. That or something similar is how you name meat rabbits. If we decide to keep one as a breeder rather than butcher we use http://20000-names.com/ .

Although the breeds are typically used as meat rabbits, this is posted in "Pet Rabbits," so the usual purpose may not be the case.

I do agree that if they will be used as meat rabbits, naming them is not a good idea.

Congratulations on your baby bunnies, Abby! :bouncy:

Sounds like you've got a bunch of white and mostly white little buns there!

Some cute names you could consider would be

Pouf
Puff
Snow
Snowball
Cotton
Crystal
Pearl
Powder
Opal

Like Maggie said, have fun! :)

:?: PLZZZZZZ TELL ME HOW YOU COULD GET A ROBO DWAF HAMSTER TO STOP FIGHTING WITH ANOTHER HAMSTER PLLLLLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ TELLLLL MEEEE :evil: :twisted:

Hamsters are very territorial and aggressive. Unless you have two females raised together, they are going to fight - and perhaps even then. Please give them their own cages or put a divider in as a temporary measure. Otherwise you could end up with one dead or badly injured.

Back in 1959 when I was 9 years old, I got two hamsters, both males. Hamsters were new pets on the market back then and I didn't know you couldn't put them together. They fought furiously and when we tried to separate them, one fell from the cage and broke its back. I was very sad because the hamster died.

likly123":2it0zz52 said:
:?: PLZZZZZZ TELL ME HOW YOU COULD GET A ROBO DWAF HAMSTER TO STOP FIGHTING WITH ANOTHER HAMSTER PLLLLLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ TELLLLL MEEEE :evil: :twisted:

I know this is old but I had the same problem with robo hamsters. I bought them together and was surprised that one started biting the rear end of the other until it was bald and bloody. They lived happily together in the store and were sisters. They may be fighting over the wheel or food. I had to separate mine into two separate cages. Nothing else worked.

Looks more like that person's account was messed with. Or is that just me? Hamsters have nothing to do with rabbit babies...what the heck is going on?

Unfortunately, it seems that the OP edited her post about rabbit babies two months after her original post and changed the topic to robo hamsters.

Abby, I know you are young, so please get your dad to help you out when you want to post. You will get better responses if you don't mess around with old posts.

Actually I find most of the advice here inaccurate. Dwarf hamsters and especially robos are quite social in the wild and should be kept in groups (clans) if possible. We've had dozens of campbell's dwarf in the same cage and 8 adult robos with I don't know how many pups at one point.

However there are a million things you can do wrong to cause their quite normal arguments (even if they get rather loud it's just the loser saying they lost) to turn in to bloody ones instead. Females are the worst to try to keep a group of when it comes to rodents because they control the breeding and hierarchy. Males make clans much easier and larger because they don't care as much about territory for their young and breeding rights so they are less concerned about who is above who. Female only clans are best kept in no more than a trio with a specifically designed cage, resource setup, size (too big can actually cause problems the same as too small), cautious adding of objects that could be claimed, etc... In the end most can't pick up on the subtle cues of why their hamsters are arguing and are best just keeping them separate even if the hamsters evolved to be social animals and have a clan to sleep and forage with.

Kind of like our rabbits are social but territorial so we can make colonies but we have to break the rules generally followed in rabbit keeping such as when it comes to size allotted per rabbit as well as pay attention to personalities, overall size of pen, layout-objects to break things up and food/water/other resources not in a place that can be claimed, nesting situations.... Some people just can't or don't want to observe enough or do the work so they prefer or have to use individual cages. Same concept but on a much smaller scale with hamsters, gerbils, and their relatives which I've had a few uncommon ones like duprasi.

Okay, I am glad I was not the only one totally confused. I went looking for a breed of rabbit called robo hamster. I found the hamster so I assumed it was a misplaced post. Glad I am not crazy.

I thought a robo hamster was... well... a crazy hamster or something. I thought I was just getting old and out of touch with the modern "lingo"! :?

Glad to know I'm still "hip"! Okay, so I was never hip... or cool... or even "bad"... <sigh>... or whatever it's called these days. :roll:

They are roborovski hamsters. Probably named after some guy who found them. Exceedingly hyper and not the best pets unless you like to watch things behind glass. They also have even shorter lifespans than a regular dwarf and being seasonal breeders you get about 2 tries to get offspring out of them. They are too adhd to really tame much either. Most rodent people I know found them not worth it. Some commercial breeders must have figured out efficient methods because they have appeared in all the chain pet stores who buy from mills and even have a second or 3rd color now.

MamaSheepdog, I didn't get the "robo" part either. I felt for the young girl who posted because of my own childhood experiences with hamsters.

Akane, thanks for the up-to-date information on hamsters. Sure is different from back in the Fifties! I feel sooooooo old. :wheelcha:

Back