Copper, Red and Himalayan Satins

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Vitality

Reaction score
I drank too much coffee yesterday and couldn't sleep, so I spent my time attempting to predict color outcomes. I compared each doe with each buck, and looked at some linebreeding, too. I have no idea if what I've figured is accurate. I really want Red Satins, and I thought if I could figure out a way to breed my own with the stock I have, that saves me a lot of travel and expense. I'd like Chocolates, too, but I don't see any evidence of Chocolate genes in my herd. I would love to be wrong about that!

I plugged in each of my rabbits by Genome, so far as I know them. http://www.welshrabbitry.com/matrix.php

It looks like any Copper/Chestnut sired by my Chinchilla buck would be AaB_C(chd)D_E_ or AaB_C(chd)DdE_ from
Chinchilla buck - A_B_chd_D_E_
3 does -
Blue aaB_C_DdEEs,
Black aaB_C_DdEe,
Gold tipped Steel(black)aaB_C_DdEse

If one of those coppers is a buck, and I breed it back to my Gold tipped steel doe, I come up with 2/3 chinchilla carrying Copper and 1/3 Red kits.

If I breed a chinchilla carrying Copper to my Blue doe, I get 25% Himalayan, between Agouti/Black/Blue.

Is this right? Can I really get Red, Copper and Himalayan from these 4 rabbits? I know there are a lot of empty hashmarks in these genomes, and I'm only just learning the genetics of my herd.

Any help/input/advise is greatly appreciated!

Latest posts

Back