Register

How to get BEW?

A place to ask about rabbit colours and to discuss rabbit genetics -- and how to breed for the desired results.
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 883.00

Re: How to get BEW?

Post Number:#16  Unread postby bigbrologan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:53 pm

Great, thanks!

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,955.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Devon's Mom Lauren » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:48 pm

The vienna gene is totally different than the Rew. Rew is lack of colour or cc. The vienna gene is written as v, so to get blue eyed white you need two vv's together. Breeding to rew will get you anything that is hidden by the rew plus a whole assortment of various vienna-marked. the vienna gene is weird and doesn't always show up in carriers, other times you will get dutch-type markings and sometimes even blue eyes but no white! it is incompletly or co-dominant with other stuff. there are many many breeds that have BEWS. It is a very old mutation that has been around for quite a while. Some of the older breeds would be Polish, the Beveren and also the Netherland.

BunnyBucks: 2,245.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby Honorine » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:36 am

REW is dominant over BEW, and it is not a good idea to add REW to BEW lines. Both REW and BEW are recessives, and must be carried or expressed to be produced. If you bred a REW to a BEW you would get all colored vienna carriers, unless the BEW carried REW. You would not get BEW's. If you bred two BEW's that both carried REW you would get both REW and BEW kits, I know of this happening. Technically all the kits would genetic BEW, with the REW pigment removing gene changing the eye color to red.

REW carriers often show no outward signs of it, sometimes stray whites. BEW 'Vienna' carriers can and do express that they are carriers in some interesting ways. They can be colored and have blue eyes, or parti blue eyes. They can be Dutch marked, or they can just have a face blaze or a touch of white on their nose. Or and this is my particular favourite, they are silvered, I have this incredible black otter doe that is heavily silvered, she's really neat! Or, they can show no outward signs at all. Very interesting gene. Think in Europe Continental Giants come in BEW, now that must be neat!!

BunnyBucks: 0.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby WillowAcreLionheads » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:31 am

I am new to the "Rabbit Talk" forum... and came across this topic. I have a VIENNA MARKED (not BEW like originally posted) Lionhead doe. I LOVE her blue eyes. I bred her to my Broken Fawn Holland Lop ( for lionhead lop babies ) and two of those ended up with blue eyes as well. I have a picture of her, and of one of her babies I will post. Rabbits are so neat!!!

here is one of her babies:

Last edited by WillowAcreLionheads on Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Number:#20  Unread postby Devon's Mom Lauren » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:57 am

Cute!!! However your Lionhead doe is actually a Vienna Marked not a full BEW otherwise she would be all white. Did your 2 vc babies get a mane? He certainly has a nice mug head!!

The following user would like to thank Devon's Mom Lauren for this post
WillowAcreLionheads

Post Number:#21  Unread postby WillowAcreLionheads » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:19 pm

yes, she is the mismarked, or dutch marked ( Vienna marked ) bunny. I absolutely love her eyes. One of her babies has a pretty good mane, the one pictured is not like the other one. They are only 4 weeks old right now, so they change every week...lol.

I am taking her this weekend to breed her with a Vienna Marked buck. Cant wait to see the babies there. :)

Post Number:#22  Unread postby Devon's Mom Lauren » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:10 pm

Hopefully you get some BEW Lionheads! I think BEW is nicer in the "wooled"-type breeds rather than the shorter fured ones.

Post Number:#23  Unread postby WillowAcreLionheads » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:13 pm

I hope so :)

Previous