Candling Eggs Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marian

Reaction score
For some odd reason, my incubator shot up to 110 degrees a couple of days after the eggs were put in. I rectified the problem as soon as I noticed it so was that high for less than an hour. So today, day 10, I decided to try to candle. The ones I deemed to be dead, were, I checked afterwards. There was no evidence of chicks in most of them, a couple had a blood ring which I understand is an indication that a chick started to grow then died. In all the dead eggs, the yolks were runny and completely liquid. I'm wondering if that is also an indication that the egg is a dud? I think it is from what the books say but I just thought I would ask the experienced chicken people here.

Thanks so much for confirming! There's nothing worse than thinking I'm right but no way to confirm it. Turns out that the incubator may-be fine. I put another thermometer in and it stayed steady at 99F but the orignal one shot up to 110F again. So I probably killed the eggs by cooling them off too much GARRR! All I'll have to do now is keep in mind disappointments bring knowledge and hope for the best with this hatch. Thanks again.

I always have 2 thermometers in the bator. Sometimes 3 or 4 depending on the size of the bator. They're all digital. And I learned early on to put new batteries in them once a year, at the start of the incubator season. I generally use one GOOD thermometer/hygrometer inside, plus at least one that has an external probe that I set up inside somewhere at egg height. Right now I've got readings of 103.5 from the externally read thermometer, and 100.2 from the guy inside the bator. Since it's been quite consistently 2 degrees difference between the two, and the last hatch went fine...I'm not concerned with the 103.5.<br /><br />__________ Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:25 am __________<br /><br />http://www.poultry.msstate.edu/extensio ... bation.pdf is an excellent resource for troubleshooting incubation problems.

Latest posts

Back