lost a litter due to hail...arghhh

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
Last night we had a severe hailstorm around 3am. All the buns were covered--or so i thought.

Pumpkins litter somehow was exposed and soaked---four of 5 gone. the last barely alive. They were well fed, just shy of 2 weeks and really a fine bunch. I thought about going out, but we have had rain etc for months and all had stayed dry. Somehow the hail direction got them.

Totally depressing....

I did rebred her though.

the last one succumbed. I took a look, the rain overflowed from the covers and dripped into the nest. That is how they got wet, the hay at the bottom was dry---the top fur was wet and then the kits.

just rotten

I recommend something over the top of the cage itself, a covering like a tarp or air-foil insulation that can hang down and protect the nest box. You need to keep materials handy for this kind of weather-related situation and use them if it is even "maybe" a problem.

Once is bad luck, but now you know this can be a hazard you can take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again. It is depressing to lose perfectly healthy kits because of a problem with your infrastructure.

wow - you sure have a steep learning curve at the rate you breed :(
poor bunnies

Brody,

Am I missing your point here? She had them a week ago, all perished. I have kept rabbits in this location since last Summer and this was a freak storm that overflowed and dripped onto the nest. Many re breed if a doe looses a litter soon after kindling; this is what I did.

Normal policy is 35-42 day breed back depending on condition, litter growth etc. I saw no reason to wait another month as the doe is fine. I realize you likely raise for a different reason: we raise for meat and to cover costs. Thus a doe must be producing. I am not seeking to "factory farm", but its not a humanitarian mission either.

I would like to hear a little more on the learning curve--I am all ears (no pun intended).

thx

Brody,

Am I missing your point here? She had them a week ago, all perished. I have kept rabbits in this location since last Summer and this was a freak storm that overflowed and dripped onto the nest. Many re breed if a doe looses a litter soon after kindling; this is what I did.

Normal policy is 35-42 day breed back depending on condition, litter growth etc. I saw no reason to wait another month as the doe is fine. I realize you likely raise for a different reason: we raise for meat and to cover costs. Thus a doe must be producing. I am not seeking to "factory farm", but its not a humanitarian mission either.

I would like to hear a little more on the learning curve--I am all ears (no pun intended).

thx

All I meant is exactly what I said - you jumped into rabbits pretty fast and have learned a lot very quickly about their needs (and what doens't work)

I made no comment at all about breeding her back .. I understand your goal .. it just makes sense to me that your learning curve would be steeer than a smaller breeder or pet or fibre person ust based on numbers alone

ok--thanks for the clarification.

Yes, I have learned a lot--don't want to imply I have all the answers at all. I believe I have come a long way in 8 months; it will be interesting to see how we get thru the summer heat. already stockpiling 2 L btls for cooling; we hit 90+ for about 20 days last year.

I lost some due to freezing (lesson learned), now heat---we did have some experience with that last year--weren't breeding then.

Sorry to hear what happened.. :( it could happen to anyone new OR experienced. It would have happened whether you had one doe or 200. Also rabbits in the wild breed pretty much constantly every time they meet a buck after the current litter is on the ground, so it shouldn't BE a problem to rebreed after 30- 40 days. Especially true when a domestic doe has the optimum enviroment of high quality food, shelter and lack of becoming prey to something (mostly!) In my opinion you learn much faster the more you experience something so keeping one or two pet rabbits is not always going to present you with all the problems that may arise as one goes on! :) :)

hopefully it would only happen once and not again if the issue was lack of shelter

you learn different things when you have a pet/house rabbit agreed - not neccesarily less but different

when you do rescue you learn a little about all sides of the issue - especially when you take rabbits in need from whereever they come from

Back