breeding does

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boundarybunnyco

Reaction score
Hello, I was breeding does yesterday. One doe was actually humping the buck, but wouldn't hold still for him. the other doe just would not let him get on. the last doe I put in with him, I'm sure was bred. He hopped on, did his thing, and tipped over, and did this three times in just a few minutes. so what should I do about the other two?

Put them back in with him today or tomorrow. Did you check them for readiness? Check and make sure they are red or purple before you put them in.

I put my champagne d'argent doe back in today. she was the one humping him yesterday. within a few minutes he had one fall off. I'm not sure if he did it again, as I was chasing escapee babies around the barn. they apparently got out of the cage where the feeder hole is. I never imagined they could squeeze out of it... but out they did get. I did catch every single one, thank God. They are only a month old! Some of them actually came right up to me. So I moved them into a different cage. I'll try tomorrow to get the other two does to breed.

If they are humping the buck it usually means they are really ready and in frustration saying "get on with it already". I tip them off and sometimes pause them by their shoulders for a second so the buck can catch them.

Maybe, maybe not. It all depends if his aim was good and he wasn't shooting blanks. 3 is usually done to avoid misses where the buck slips and it all ends up in the fur and heat sterility or not being used for awhile can sometimes make less useful sperm that will get cleared out by several matings.

Latest posts

Back