Fighting / bonding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ktk102893

Reaction score
I have two female rabbits both are spayed and live in two seperate cages. They can't be out together because they fight and hurt each other. They have even bitten me a couple of times when I have gotten in to break them up. I really need help trying to get them to be nice to each other. I feel like they aren't getting enough attention as possible because they can't be let out together. Please Help!!!

Ktk102893":gyufb9xg said:
I have two female rabbits both are spayed and live in two seperate cages. They can't be out together because they fight and hurt each other. They have even bitten me a couple of times when I have gotten in to break them up. I really need help trying to get them to be nice to each other. I feel like they aren't getting enough attention as possible because they can't be let out together. Please Help!!!

Unfortunately, the answer to this is that they will likely ALWAYS fight, unless given LOTS of space to get away from each other. Adult does don't like other does in their
"territory". Unless they were raised together from a young age, they likely will never get along. Maybe someone else knows more about this than me? Anyone?

I have let my rabbits out togather in our yard, where they have plenty of space to roam with no problems, but I would never put them in a confined area togather.

Maybe you could start by putting their cages near each other so they can see and smell each other without touching? I dont know? with dogs we use treats when they dont get along creating a positive association but I dont know if that will work with rabbits.

Why is it so important that they be "out together"? As OneAcreFarm says, does are territorial and will ALWAYS fight each other. For that same reason, when breeding (I know your does are spayed), we always take the doe to the buck, not the other way around.

I guess I will just deal with it. There cages are put side by side. I just love them both so much an I just wish they could get along. But one had a bloody ear yesterday from a fight. So I am just gonna stop I think for there safety.

Fights are not as bad as they look most times. The rabbits hop around all over slamming in to each other but in the end no one gets injured even if someone gets slammed quite hard and one rabbit comes out on top. Then there is a little chasing for a few days and everyone gets along. It's only a true fight if they "ball up" where they are wrapped together biting and tearing at each other rolling around.

However this should not be attempted in a space less than the size of a full room (we used a 10x10' building and now 12x12' horse stalls) and they cannot be separated again afterward. Every time they are separated they would have to settle who is boss again making it so you have to devote pretty much an entire room to 2 rabbits in order to have a bonded pair. If you put them in too small of cage after settling who's boss (which can take days) they will fight again and if you leave them in even a large cage without daily turnout they may fight again because they get on each others nerves.

Unless you raise siblings together or mother and daughter it's easier to keep each adult rabbit in it's own cage.

Ktk102893":14nfsgr1 said:
They have the bad fights. They go at it hard.
Yup! Would DEFINITELY keep them separated! Those two are NOT going to bond, no matter what you do or how much you try.

Thanks for y'alls help so much
No problem! :)

Back