Sniffles

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pheasant283

Reaction score
Have a younger mature buck that we recentlly purchased, seems to have a case of the Sniffles. Any cures or remedees?? Or is it best to elliminate him from the herd? Have him isolated as much as we can right now.

I am not sure how many rabbits you have or what your particular situation is, but I personally couldn't risk my herd for one rabbit that could potentially infect everyone else with something. I am also curious about symptoms- if we are talking thick snot, etc., I would probably cull immediately and get to work disinfecting everything. There are many discussions around the internet about snuffles in rabbits and one thing I read over and over again is that it keeps coming back, even with continued veterinary care. This article is written by a breeder I greatly respect/admire and the first portion of it is about pasturella in particular:

http://imaginationacres.blogspot.com/20 ... ealth.html

Best of luck!

Lauren

what do you mean by "as isolated as possible?"

either he's isolated - different air, no contact, rigorous washing before handling him, handling him last and washing well afterwards or he isn't

current theory is all rabbits carry some strain of pasturella however stress exacerbates it and it is contagious

How long have you had him? If it is less than 3 days, I'd keep him very, very isolated and watch him. Rabbits sometimes react to the stress of a move by sneezing, mucus and sometimes even diarrhea. It shouldn't last long, however. A big clue here is the situation he came from. If his previous rabbitry was clean and the rabbits well taken cared for, I'd lean towards thinking the buck is having a stress-reaction. If the rabbitry was dirty, pans overflowing, overcrowded and the air quality practically unbreathable, I'd probably cull him.

If you decide to watch him for a while, dandilion and dill, fresh or dried, will help boost his immune system and support his respiratory system. If he is not used to fresh or dried herbs, start very small amounts and increase.

Have had he about a week. Rabittry he came from seemed well kept. Have him in a different shed @ a different house from the rest of the herd. If he dosen't seem to be improving in a couple weeks, I will cull him.

You will need to be very careful not to carry the possible snuffles infection from him to your other rabbits. Always care for the isolated rabbit last and then wash well, change clothes and disinfect footwear before visiting your own rabbits again. Good luck... lets hope it is just stress of the move.

Back