Will attempt to cook my first rabbit tonight!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamsFamilyFarm

Reaction score
Ok, so I saved the back legs from some of the rabbits DH processed for me last weekend. I plan on frying them up tonight. His cousin has been bugging me for rabbit since we got them in August! I can just fry them like I do chicken, right? That is the current plan. I'm just cooking a few since everyone coming won't eat it, and we are ordering pizza. I guess if it is a total disaster we'll have a back up!

Were they young fryers or older rabbits? If older rabbits, I'd oven-bake them. There's not much fat in rabbit, so you have to be careful not to overcook them, or you get dry and tasteless.

The front legs are the best for frying, but you can fry anything. Rear legs and loin get a bit tough if the rabbits are much over 9 or 10 weeks old. To fry, salt and pepper but do not dredge in flour. Brown in skillet turning frequently then cover with a glass lid until tender. You can fry in almost anything... we use olive oil, bacon is also good.

They are fryers. I've got a ton of bacon grease in the fridge, maybe I'll use that. DH finally got all 7 of them put in the freezer. I've got another 11 due to be processed in 2 weeks. About the same time I have 4 does due to kindle. We are trying different breeding combinations to see what combo gives us the best for next years meat pens. We may keep a couple of them if they are really good to breed later. His cousin did say he would come up and help next time, so that will be good.

Back