Salt Blocks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only time I would use salt licks is if I was not using pellet feed.
Home made rations would require additional minerals and salts. The feed
list recommended by House Rabbit Society is also very weak on minerals.

I don't use salt licks or salt spools. My pellet feed contains all the
sodium and minerals the rabbits will need. Another reason for not
using salt licks is that if you hang them on the side of a wire cage,
the salt will corrode and rust the wire.

If you decide to use salt licks, hang them from the ceiling of the
cage like a hanging toy so it does not touch the sides of the cage.
Hang it at a level that the rabbit can reach up to lick the salt
spool. Now it will not corrode the side of the cage and the rabbit has
a play toy!

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

Where can you find a salt spool?
Do I need to feed my rabbit a salt block? She is getting a handful of greens a day, but she always has pellets.

~ Farm Girl~

salt spools are easy to find anywhere that sells pet gerbil or guinea pig food/accessories. Like Walmart, target, etc. Pet section, look for the end section where they have parakeet and gerbil stuff.

Farm Girl, you don't need a salt spool if you're feeding pellets. Pellets have all the salt the bunnies need.

Anntann":308yruqw said:
salt spools are easy to find anywhere that sells pet gerbil or guinea pig food/accessories. Like Walmart, target, etc. Pet section, look for the end section where they have parakeet and gerbil stuff.
For the price of one of those spools, I can get a whole 4-lb block at the feed store.

Farm Girl, you don't need a salt spool if you're feeding pellets. Pellets have all the salt the bunnies need.
Exactly! I grain-feed, no pellets here, so my bunnies DO need salt blocks.

I was able to buy salt spools at the feed stores for much less than one pays at Walmart. But if you only need one or two, then Walmart prices will work.

The whole advantage to having a spool is being able to hang it from the ceiling. Salt hanging against metal wire wall encourages rust and harming the cage.

If there is room on the floor for a salt block, then use a salt block, preferably in something to keep the salt off the wire.

If you grain feed, you might also consider offering vitamin/electroytes in the water. Use the yellow vitamin powder sold for poultry/swine/etc.

Have a good day!

If you grain feed, you might also consider offering vitamin/electroytes in the water. Use the yellow vitamin powder sold for poultry/swine/etc.
man.,...that stuff is GOLDEN for getting shipped chicks thru the first few days. And any poultry that are stressed or ill from anything...It's simply amazing what a little bit of that stuff in the water will do for them!

Good to know it's okay for rabbits, too. I'm thinking for weanlings, specially?

I have used it in the past for all the rabbits. Often giving it to bred does before they kindle to prevent electrolyte imbalance (pregnancy toxemia).

But all rabbits get a good result from it.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

Back