Softening hides?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverBlaze85

Reaction score
Hey folks.

Okay, back story: I needed 8 rabbit pelts for a project, my usual provider only had 7. Instead of waiting for another to become available, I decided to try a new vendor.

I got my pelt in the mail today, and while it's tanned very nicely and the fur is awesome... the leather on the back is stiffer than I'm used to. I can make it work if necessary, but if I can soften it up, that'd be gravy. I tugged on it a little, and there's a crackling noise, like old brittle elastic, if that helps any.

I've seen some folks say to throw it in a COLD dryer with a tennis ball or four and let that go.... wouldn't it wind up damaging the fur??

Any and all advice is most welcome and appreciated.

i've heard the same advice about using a cold dryer. as far as i have read it does not damage the fur. but i have not tryed it myself.
you might want to try just spraying the skin side with some warm water and stretching it a bit with your hands or pulling it over the back of a dining room chair. fur side up and skin rubbing along the chair back.
good luck with your fur. and what is your project i wonder?

That is what I was going to say. Wet the hide and while it is damp, pull to stretch or use a chair back, etc. That should help. Ok, now we need to see pictures of your projects in exchange for our awesome advice! :lol:

I second that advice. Also rubbing some lotion or shea butter makes the leather very soft.

DanaYares":2flcbi06 said:
I second that advice. Also rubbing some lotion or shea butter makes the leather very soft.

This! I make dog toys out of mine so I need them soft as well. Lotion works wonders.

Latest posts

Back