joys of the pet crowd

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
There is something about this week that I have gotten email after email. My ad has gotten a little forceful because I'm tired of people sending vague emails. "I am interested in a rabbit"... yea I got 57 of those now, I think anyway given I just put 3 in the freezer, and they range from 13-2lbs so we spend 5 emails figuring out what they want. I now say ahead of time to tell me what you want because I always have rabbits it just depends if I have what someone wants right then and if they are willing to wait.

So now I get emails like tonight "I want a long haired dwarf rabbit" I had to inform them netherland dwarf do not come long haired which are the only official dwarf rabbit that I know of and that they can look at fuzzy lops (who aren't real long haired so much as whispy and soft to me) or lionheads who will likely lose their mane by adulthood and be equal to a fuzzy lop with or without the lop ears unless they find a really good breeder. I also mentioned the smaller angoras since I saw some went down to 4lbs which would at least be in the range of the mini breeds but I told them the price tag is probably quite high from what I've seen of angoras. That's the best info I could find since I don't deal in that type of breed cause I hate lops, don't need the effort of angoras, and lionhead are hardly a breed yet.

I got a request for "miniature" rabbits. Said I had 2 mini rex kits. They asked age. I said 8 weeks on Monday and they said they were too young. I told them that was standard selling age, the doe weaned them 4 weeks ago, and I would not hold longer since small breeds mature so fast they could start breeding now and they'll look near full grown by 12weeks. No one will buy them after that since they are not full pedigreed on both sides and pet people usually want babies. I suggested if they weren't after showing or really young rabbits to go check a rescue since they have lots of mature but young small breed rabbits. Like that one that appears to be steadily crashing because they keep taking in and not sending out.

I do have someone else that wanted mini rex anyway so if the other person doesn't change their mind given the new info I will have to email those people back.

I got an email that I believe was hate mail probably from the look of my setup with mixed bunnies in a wire pen on the floor of the stable using chicken feeders and waterers but like most of the AR group they couldn't make actual sentences so who knows what they were saying. My ad address is my condo anyway, not the stable with all the rabbits, so I don't worry too much. Condo is locked with large dogs on the other side of the door and if they send out someone more official I have large clean cages with the floor swept daily. I don't believe they can force me to give out my other location.

Then I had someone want to buy 12-20 rabbits only all at once with discounts. 3rd discount request this month. People I'm only selling most of my rabbits at $10/piece with full pedigreed that don't have large faults as an exception. The pet store junk goes for $40. No you don't get a discount. I haven't heard back from them after saying I probably don't have that many to spare and gave them the name of someone else in the area.

I did have one sale go well but it wasn't as much for pets. A 4-her wanted some for show and some to just experiment with for the meat pen. I hauled about half my rabbitry to meet her :lol: and she took a show quality champagne d'argent doe full pedigree, sire has a really good show record with GC but I never entered the doe who is his half sibling or that daughter, and great attitude. I knew I needed to cull her for colony space (I think her and Amai fighting over kindling locations cost a litter) but I hated to butcher her so I sold her cheap considering my starting purebred stock was $40 each. Then a partial pedigree mini rex junior, and a red 3/4th creme d'argent 1/4th mini rex buck who was already silvering pretty well for my crosses and about 10lbs at 11weeks.

Why I know more than a few breeders that charge through the nose (her best buck took BOV and placed 3rd in breed at nationals)
and as she put it, 'unless they are buying stock, single pet rabbits and that 'crap' isn't worth a few bucks, they are worth more in my freezer'

Possibly they were looking for Jersey woolies.My daughter used too raise those.

there are quite a few dwarf breeds: polish, netherland dwarf, dwarf hotot, britannia petite, jersey woolies, lionheads, and such like.

People can be generic about what they want sometimes, part of the trade of dealing with the pet folk. :)

Latest posts

Back