State and Provincial Codes for Selling Rabbit Meat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone find anything for ohio? i've been looking but i cant seem to find anything. if i did find it then i couldnt understand it! lol.

Someone in another thread wanted information on Pennsylvania and I found this:

Farmer's Guide to Processing and Selling Meat or Poultry
http://extension.psu.edu/food-safety/en ... ultry/view

(Which doesn't say much about rabbits but does have a list of contact info.)

-Wendy<br /><br />__________ Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:13 am __________<br /><br />GEORGIA

I found this on the Georgia Agriculture Department's website:
http://agr.georgia.gov/Data/Sites/1/med ... e40101.pdf

There _appears_ to be an exemption for inspection for rabbits:

Page 7-8

40-10-1-.04 Exemptions. Amended.
1) Exemptions:
a) The requirements of the Act and the regulations in this chapter for inspection of the preparation of products do not apply to:
[...]
3. The slaughter and processing of rabbits by any person who raises rabbits for slaughter and processing for sale at wholesale and retail in numbers not to exceed 2500 rabbits per year.

Interesting!

-Wendy

Are there any Oregonians out there that have practical knowledge as far as what it takes (certificates, the law ect:)to sell meat commercially on our state

RichinOregon":3oj3bvmd said:
Are there any Oregonians out there that have practical knowledge as far as what it takes (certificates, the law ect:)to sell meat commercially on our state

I plan on researching this myself. Would love to be able to make a profit or at least pay for feed by selling meat.<br /><br />__________ Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:41 pm __________<br /><br />Found this...
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/livest ... -meat.html
hi there! I am in Oregon. My understanding is this:
you may not sell butchered meats unless you are USDA inspected.
you may sell live animals for the intent of the being butchered. you may also kill and dress the animal as a free service.
so the way to do it, again, as is my understanding, and how I do it. I advertise Meat Rabbits for sale. $4 per pound live weight. then when they email/call and they ask I say, well if you can't kill them yourself, I would be happy to either teach you or do it for you when I do mine. and no, no, thank you but I can't charge for that, it is a free service.

I never advertise anything the USDA people can bug me about, becasue I have been through that already with RAW goat milk. what a pain! and since I am very careful and clean and responsible. IMHO it shouldn't be a problem, but I don't push it to make sure

there are my 2cents hope that helps.

Just thought I'd share a bit of information I found out this week for the state of WI. I've been looking more into putting rabbit meat on our menu at our restaurant lately, and looking into it more in depth as far as what I need to do legally to do so. I talked with a county extension agent this week, and here's what I was told.

For the state of Wisconsin, rabbits are "exempt" as far as being monitored by any USDA inspectors, none of them are trained to inspect them is what I was told. So you can sell to a restaurant without being inspected.......BUT.......your rabbits must be processed in a commercial setting, like a butcher shop. Most butcher shops won't do rabbits, simply because the USDA inspectors won't inspect them, so you would typically end of having to travel to MN to the nearest processor, which is costly. But I asked if we could process our rabbits ourselves in the butcher shops facility, and our local butcher shop will allow us to do so. Most won't, but it can't hurt to ask. You will need to follow specific guidelines with labeling, and if your butcher shop is willing to allow you to use their facility to process, they will more than likely help you out with labeling guidelines as well.

This is what I was told by my particular county agent, I will just add that you should still check with your particular county agent in case something would be different.

Illinois
http://www.agr.state.il.us/AnimalHW/Meat&Pol.html

Rules are pretty strict here. You have to own the animal for at least 30 days to slaughter it yourself. All slaughters - except for personal consumption - must be done at a licensed and regulated facility. Rabbits are subject to state law.

You cannot sell inspected items from your residence. You can sell the animal, then butcher for the consumer, if you have a specific license. But I believe it can't be part of your residence.

If I read it correctly you can sell processed rabbits (up to 10,000 per year) directly from the farm to the customer in Texas?

Joe

Back