Bizarre...and disgusting too.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfaubush

Reaction score
Three of the rabbits I brought home last weekend were pregnant NZW's. Two were jrs., about to have their first litter. I put them all in a 3 cage stacker, and this morning I noticed that one hadn't eaten. I went back in to check on her again and there was blood and chunks in her poo pan. One of the lights in my shop is burned out so I couldn't tell exactly what I was looking at. I pulled the pan and it was several fetuses :sick:. After I got done gagging, I decided I had to count them...there were sooo many. I counted 16 :shock: !!! It's no wonder she aborted. I am keeping an eye on her, just to be sure she's ok. The most my does have given me is 11. Eesh!

I guess now I have to decide if I'm going to breed her back after the '3 day period' or wait. I've heard letting them wait is bad, and I've never done it with my does, but miscarrying 16? We'll see, I suppose.

Wow! That's a lot of kits, especially for a first litter! If you do decide to breed her back (I would), make sure you breed another doe (or two) so you can foster some babies if she has a ton again!

My feeling is that you have enough on your plate with all the new rabbits. Waiting won't hurt her... she's young and as long as you don't let her get fat, there is no reason that a break should cause problems. I don't breed my rabbits nearly as often as I could and should... and they do just fine when I do.

Sixteen is a huge litter. I suggest when you do rebreed her that you limit the coupling to one session. It sounds to me as though she ovulates heavily and conceived a full load in both horns of the uterus. Just something to consider.

Lindseyrk's suggestion about breeding other does at the same time is a good one. :)

Something is very wrong. I would wait on rebreeding her. What day was she at for her pregnancy? She may have lost them due to stress but waiting before you breed her is a good idea. I would check her regularily for vent disease as well so you don't get your buck infected. Also are you sure they were all fetuses and not placentas? The placenta would be bigger than the actual fetus. Like if you saw 16 heads then wow!

Back