Tattoo Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfaubush

Reaction score
All of the rabbits that I have just bought are pedigreed, but only a couple have tattoos. I have the equipment, but don't know the rules for tattooing stock that someone else has bred. The stock I breed will have SA### (Stump Acres). Should I do something different on the rabbits bred by others? I certainly don't want it to look like I'm taking credit for someone elses breeding program/line.

Also, once I tattoo them, can I put that on their pedigree? Am I allowed to write on a pedigree after it has already been signed by the breeder? There are a couple of them that I would like to show, but don't want to do anything that would put the kabosh on it or give anyone the impression that I am unethical...if any of that made sense.

I haven't needed to tattoo up until now. Now I have so many that I need to do something!

This is just my opinion, this is what likely I would do.
It's very nice of you to try to avoid conflict with the breeds.

You could call the breeder and ask them if they have suggestions. But if they did not tattoo the rabbits, then it probably doesn't matter to them.

Since they do not have tattoos, you can do whatever you like.

If the existing rabbits have a herd prefix, similar to your SA#, you could use their prefix then add a number or something.

If the other herd does not use an obvious system, just pick a tattoo, but do not use your SA#, you do not want to create confusion, these rabbits are not from your breeding.

After you tattoo the rabbit, put the number on the pedigree in blank spot. Even though the breeder signed it, it is incomplete for ARBA purposes until you put the tattoo on it. Also be sure all the rabbits on the pedigree have weights written.

I hope that info helps.
Have a good day!
Franco Rios

Latest posts

Back