What colors could I get?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaR

Reaction score
Ok genetics makes my eyes cross when trying to figure them out :oops: I am thinking of breeding my black otter doe to my tri buck next month, what could i get? I dont know much about the does color in her pedigree. Her litter she had when bred with a blue buck was; 5 blues, 1 black, and 1 white. The tri buck comes from tri parents, and I believe he has red, and definitly harli in his background.

Jessica,
If you are showing your rabbits I don't know of any breeds that recognize the otter "at" combined with the Japanese "ej" gene.
Usually the tri color rabbits are bred with each other and red since they carry the more recessive "ej_" or "ee" combinations.

If your otter carries normal extension "EE" and "BB" for black then you will probably get blacks and may get black otters. You could also get chestnut/agouti if the tri carries "A" agouti. But at least half of these kits would be carrying the "ej" gene,even if you didn't see it, and it would be showing up later in places you might not want it.

Since your otter has thrown REW this means she carries "c" which is hidden by her "C" full color gene, and if the tri also carries "c" then you could get REW.

Oh yes, and you can get broken of whatever color because the tri carries the "En" gene.

If she were my doe, I would probably breed her to another otter or even a normal agouti or self rabbit, basically ANYTHING that I had that WASN'T tri. Then I would use my tri buck on anything that DIDN'T carry otter, assuming I didn't have any red or harli/magpie does to breed him to.

At this time my kids show in 4-H only, we may show in the future though. I am waiting on a tri female right now, but I just thought I would test him out on my black otter since my other doe is a broken chocolate just to make sure his bits and pieces work. :lol: Maybe it would be better to use the chocolate??? The kits would be mostly sold as pets only, and some may even become dog food. I do have a blue buck to breed with the otter, so no big deal really I always can just use him again.

I just heard from the breeder I got him from. She is going to ministry school so she is selling most of her mini rexes and a couple of her flemishes so I may go and see what she has that would go with the tri better.

Oh,Oh, I detect signs of galloping rabbitosis L)

If you breed to the broken chocolate,you will probably end up with some charlies, but since you have outlets for the babies that's OK. The blue to the otter combination could give you black otter, blue otter, black and blue.

whatever you get, I love the surprises.

Back