I promise I'll never ever do it again...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss M

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, here's my problem. A buck, a doe, and eight 6-week-old kits. Two functional cages and one non-functional cage. And we're moving. Very soon.

Is it going to hurt anybody if the kits stay in a 42x30 cage with Pearl until we move? At that time, they will be 10 weeks old. I understand that's about freezer camp time, at about 5 pounds. A bag of sugar is 5 pounds. I suppose they would all be about the size of Thumper, who is not quite 5 pounds. It would be crowded, but would it be livable? Or do we really, really need to spend much-needed time to get the small, non-functional cage functional and at least get the boys or the girls out of Pearl's cage?

Once we're moved, I'd like to really put together a complete setup where this would not be an issue. But right now, it is an issue.

Honestly, for 6-8 week olds, I don't think it would be a problem. At 10 weeks, 8 kits and mom, will be overcroweded. If you have to, go get a large plastic container, put bedding in the bottom, and a piece of screen on top. Instant cage. Or go get a dog crate to put mom in. Babies will be fine by themselves.

:) As long as there is no fighting going on, I wouldn't think there's a problem at all. My NZ guys didn't show any interest in the girls until along about 10weeks. The angoras at around 12weeks or so.

You do have to make sure that everyone is getting to the feeder, which can be difficult if there's a wimp in the cage. Just watch for any fighting, and for everyone getting food. :)

It is not ideal... but don't think it will be a problem. If it becomes one before the move, putting Pearl in a dog crate will ease the population pressure. You will need to be more vigilant than usual to make sure everyone is getting food and water, and you will need to keep the cage clean, which may be more of a job than usual.

Thank you all!!! I have recently acquired a J-feeder, which holds a lot more than the dish I added, so I'll put that in there. I'll also add another water bowl, since they are emptying it regularly the last couple of days.

We'll keep an eye out for fighting and such, and split them up accordingly, and keep up the cleaning. Thank you for the ideas!!

:thankyou:

Back