Droopy Ear Tips

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckinguy

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
My litter of 11, which is now 7, is about ten weeks old. One has the tips of her ears drooping down. All the rest are fine. I remember reading something about it on HT a while ago but I"m on dialup and it takes a while to search so I was wondering what causes this? They will be sent to camp soon anyway but I"m just curious. They are all on pellets and this is the first one I've had like this.

There are various theories about this, Truckinguy. Some say it is lack of a certain vitamin... can't remember which one. Some say it relates to a growth spurt... the ears just can't quite keep up. Some say it relates to the strength of the cartilage in the ear.

The good news it that it never seems to last or to present a health risk. So since they are headed for freezer camp anyway, I suggest you just ignore it. You might not want to select a rabbit with this trait as a breeder, especially if you are interested in showing, but apart from that I don't think you need to concern yourself.

I had a NZ do that. Really cute, but strange looking. Not sure what it is that causes it....but after posting about mine...all 4 of the kits started to have the droopy tips..one at a time..then the ears would go up and be fine..then another one...then 2, then all would be fine again.

The boy seems to have the worst time of it..but he's got HUGE ears compared to his sisters.

Many of Pearl's kits have this, and it's really funny! I chalk it up to daddy being a lop. I don't know if that has a thing to do with it, and I know it doesn't help you any, since I'm sure you didn't cross with a lop.

Thank you. I was hoping it wasn't anything serious and a mineral deficiency was in the back of my mind from reading the post on HT. The rest of the litter is fine and they are on a good quality pellet so I wasn't really too concerned but I appreciate the replies. It does look kinda funny!

It's a genetic trait, some rabbits don't have enough ear carriage to hold the ears upright.

For meat rabbits, it's not an issue. For show bunnies, it's a disqualification in most of the meat breeds.

Have a good day!

Latest posts

Back