Old Jack

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
bunniesandmorebunnies174.jpg

So I got Jack oh...about a year ago now.
He was an old fellow then, he's an even older fellow now.

The last couple of weeks I keep expecting to find him dead.
He's pickier about his food.
He loves his bigger cage now that I've moved a couple girls out.
He's a bit stiff and sore.
This morning I came in and he was lying so still I needed to poke him to see if he was still living, all he did was nudge me for a head rub. Silly lad.
alligatorandbunnies058.jpg

It's funny how some rabbits worm their way into your hearts. He's a nice quite "PET ME" type of rabbit. When I got him he wouldn't eat unless I gave him a good head and body rub first...I got him weaned from that a bit, but he's reverting to that behaviour again, pet me please!!!!!!

He still wants to do his job but his results are increasingly more inconsistent.
feb32010154.jpg

I know the time is coming, and I'm not sure that I want it to, he will be missed around here.

Ah, that is hard, Ladysown... but what a good retirement home you have given him. Some willow bark may help those aches and pains... If there is a willow tree handy, give him a few twigs. What a nice old boy he is!

I feel that way about my Adam and Scarlett. When they are no longer able to give me kits they will live out their years here and when they die they will be buried, not eaten. I just don't think I can do that. They are so reliable, when I put them together they mate within a couple of minutes and usually three or four times in the first ten minutes and haven't missed a litter yet. Adam is very calm and gentle and Scarlett is fiery. Scarlett and I started off on the wrong foot but after I moved the rabbits out to the garage she changed and we've mostly been good since.

Scarlett and Adam's daughter Wanda from their very first litter is also growing on me, she has given me a few litters too, very reliable and a good momma.

Some rabbits do grow on you....

My old one is Sarah. I don't know how old she is. She's had many litters and helped with her daughters' litters. She never growls or scratches and all the others still respect her but she's gotten that lean-in-the-face look and her fur has gotten thinner. I don't know how much longer I'll have her but she will have a burial not a crock pot.

So now that Jack has tasted the greens of this year, he won't touch my hay. I know it's not the greatest hay, but he's quite adamant. I think spoiling him is not a bad notion. :) The search is hard at this time of year as everything is so very short, but I'll do it for the old boy I think. Except on Sundays, no time on Sundays....

Back