Learn From My Mistake!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfaubush

Reaction score
Since I've just gained so many new rabbits, I wanted to make my job easier. On Saturday, I decided that my water bottles were too time consuming to fill and that I should cut the tops off of them so that I could just fill without pulling each one down. :roll: DON'T DO THIS. Apparently, you need the pressure in the bottle to keep the water from pouring from the drinker valve. I had to scrounge for old water and soda bottles (12 of them). Because the soda and water bottles are soooo much smaller than my other bottles, I must fill much more often until I get my replacements next week. This...not such a time saver. Live and learn, but NEVER cut the tops off your water bottles with drinker valves w/ the balls. :evil:

Oooh, thanks for the warning! I might have tried something like that, too. I would SOOOO love an automatic watering system (even gravity-feed).

Next week I am meeting with another breeder to swap FG bucks. She has some of those nice square water bottles for $2 ea so I'm going to pick up 24 of them. I will be setting up a gravity waterer this summer. I thought I would do it now, since I needed something, but spare water bottles always come in handy and I am in the middle of several huge projects on top of homeschooling my girls. No time yet.

yep, like chick founts, the water in water bottles is primarily held in by a vacuum that is created by the weight of the water at the top of the container. That is why a water bottle filled totally full will usually leak a bit longer than one not quite full, because it takes a bit longer for the pressure inside to lower. In a pinch, one can take a 5 gallon bucket, drill a 1/2 inch hole about an inch from the top rim, and fill it full of water. If a feed pan is laid over it (upside down) and the whole shebang flipped quickly, it makes a perfectly good poultry font. Heh, flipping a 5 gallon bucket full of water over, while holding a feed pan down on top at the same time, is not as easy as it might seem......if one doesn't concentrate, they will get VERY wet. :cry:

I have some of the flip-top water bottles and they work great and are super easy to fill and keep clean. The downside is that only my big or mouthy rabbits will use them because it has a little stick spring action valve at the bottom instead of a metal ball. My English Angoras would rather die of dehydration then move a stick to get their water I guess because I could never get them to use that kind of water bottle, where as my English Lops are fine with the flip-tops.

Best of luck!

Lauren

have some of the flip tops and that was actually where the idea came from. I didn't realize those tops created such a seal. My original herd hates the stick valves too. The newbies don't seem to mind though.

I think the stick spring action valve is where the seal is on the flip-top bottles, but I could be mistaken. I just know that when I turn them sideways by mistake the water pours out, so I think the bottle only needs to be air tight for the ball valve type.

Best of luck!

Lauren

HendricksHearth":3lrnwyea said:
I have some of the flip-top water bottles and they work great and are super easy to fill and keep clean. The downside is that only my big or mouthy rabbits will use them because it has a little stick spring action valve at the bottom instead of a metal ball. My English Angoras would rather die of dehydration then move a stick to get their water I guess because I could never get them to use that kind of water bottle, where as my English Lops are fine with the flip-tops.

Best of luck!

Lauren

I know what you mean I got some new water bottles that were the flip top, so I put one in my Angora rabbits cage and I didn't notice for a couple days that she hadn't figured out how to wiggle the stick so she was VERY thirsty. I had to put her old ball water back in with her. I think Angora rabbits must be dumb:)

Latest posts

Back