Hay Racks and feeding thoughts

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
so I bought four of these things at a dollar store about 2 months back.

January102012205.jpg

Put them up in four cages to use as hay racks.

January102012202.jpg

They work. Ergo I went out and bought a bunch more only to run into a wee bit of a snag but more on that later.

For my slow hay eaters they keep the hay up off the cage wire, for my boys who think hay should be treated like a girl.. Well...means they EAT IT instead of well...Otherwise not eating it. :oops:

Problem:
I can't put them low cause then baby bunnies can jump into them. and I'm not into risking broken limbs.

BUT putting them high means the wee babies can't eat the hay cause they can't reach it and my does really prefer to eat it all themselves if I give them the opportunity. and they don't spill enough for the babies.

So... feeding the babies hay... how? Just keep tossing it on the floor? Once they hit four weeks it's not an issue.. but those 2-4 week old kits can be messy and I'd rather they not continue to sit in the hay and what not. So how to problem solve around them?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

January102012204.jpg

It looks pretty practical, and the cheap part is what most of us will like about it.

I made one out of some 1" x 2" cage wire not too long ago, and it didn't turn out half bad. The way I constructed them was such that I could just hang them from the outside of the cage, and remove them as needed in a snap. I will make more of them in the near future.

I use the dollar store organization bins too. I bought a bunch of the square ones and I mounted them on the outside of the cages I cut one side off and that that is the open top. I stuff them with hay every day. The rabbits pull the hay though the cage in. I will post a picture if I can find one. Got it here it is.

gallery/image.php?album_id=74&image_id=580

My solution was to turn the whole thing sideways and attach 2 of my hay lofts together to make a silo instead of a rack they could reach over and jump in. Not that it stopped some rabbits from getting in. A few required swinging lids.
DSCN0683.jpg

currituckbun":k99cfy3i said:
I use the dollar store organization bins too. I bought a bunch of the square ones and I mounted them on the outside of the cages I cut one side off and that that is the open top. I stuff them with hay every day. The rabbits pull the hay though the cage in. I will post a picture if I can find one. Got it here it is.

gallery/image.php?album_id=74&image_id=580

I like your idea alot... I need to redo all of mine caue my girls go thro hay like I got thro chocloate and it hey gets all over the floor, gets pooped on, collects and just a overall mess. I will have to do that!!!. Thanks for the ideas

Back