Register

My Bunnies

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 362.00

My Bunnies

Post Number:#1  Unread postby BlackBunny » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Hello Rabbit Talk Forum,
My husband, who has serious fur and feather allergies, and I decided to get a pet after living together for a few years, we decided on a snake and after months of research and planning we were ready.
Then before I could talk to a breeder we found 3 half dead snakes through the spca and I couldn't say no to giving them a chance, 2 made it.
One was a little corn snake the other a full grown female boa constrictor, rats did the job for a while to feed this 7 foot snake, but I realized she needed something more to put the weight on.
So I found a free pair of bunnies from an accidental litter, we kept the black girl for a breeder and fed her brother, and so it began all with a black bunny.
I had kept rabbits in the past but it was my husbands first experience, he was overjoyed to find a fuzz ball that diddn't make his allergies go crazy and he built me some hutches with his super framing skills. Now we breed Netherland Dwarfs, we use our snakes for culling purposes and occasionally sell a few to the pet market.
So I keep bunnies and snakes, I hope I don't offend.
Some of the bunnies ^u^
Breeding Netherland Dwarfs and looking to work with champagne d'argent if I can ever find some stock.

The following user would like to thank BlackBunny for this post
Bramble Hedge

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,893.00

Re: My Bunnies

Post Number:#2  Unread postby boundarybunnyco » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:06 pm

those bunnies are adorable.

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 31,400.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:12 pm

Cute, cute, cute!

http://www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
~A micro-attempt at self-sufficiency~

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 22,550.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Secuono » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:16 pm

Technically, anything with fur that holds skin cells will case issues. But if kept outside, it should be ok. Do you guys plan to breed rabbits to feed the snakes?

BunnyBucks: 3,016.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby currituckbun » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:34 pm

What a rare moment you caught in that first picture of the bun with her kits. Very cute bunnies. I have a neighbor who has used my culls as snake food. No offense here. :)

BunnyBucks: 31,400.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:38 pm

BlackBunny wrote:I had kept rabbits in the past but it was my husbands first experience, he was overjoyed to find a fuzz ball that diddn't make his allergies go crazy and he built me some hutches with his super framing skills. Now we breed Netherland Dwarfs, we use our snakes for culling purposes and occasionally sell a few to the pet market.
So I keep bunnies and snakes, I hope I don't offend.

No offense here! Many of us breed rabbits for meat for our families. Hey, snakes need to eat too, right? lol

http://www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
~A micro-attempt at self-sufficiency~

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,199.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby kotapony » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:00 pm

Ooooh, such cuteness. I don't think I could feed/eat them. I'd get too attached to the cuteness! I raise Californians for our table. Given they all look the same I haven't had attachment issues thus far.

Welcome to the forum! :)
~Katie

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,231.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Miss M » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:52 pm

They are adorable, especially that little inquisitive sprite in the last pic! :razz:

There are a few here who breed to feed their dogs, so you shouldn't freak anybody out. :)
We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

BunnyBucks: 45.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby RabbitLuver101 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:25 am

Very very cute bunnies! I miss having baby bunnies! :D

Post Number:#10  Unread postby BlackBunny » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:35 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome
@ChickiesnBunnies yes I do breed and any dead kits are fed to the little snakes and any adults that can't be sold, behavior or genetic, to the pet trade or used in my breeding program are fed to the larger snake.
I do not feed live.

Bunnies are delicious and a wonderful meat source in my opinion, I'm a chef and although I just have bunnies for snake snacks, snuggles and garden poop, I'd like to get some nice rabbits for my own table one day.
I'm looking into champagne d'argent, I have a lot of flemish giants and californians in my area but I want something different, and an old french bunny with a silvering coat sonds lovely, if I can ever find a pair.
Breeding Netherland Dwarfs and looking to work with champagne d'argent if I can ever find some stock.

BunnyBucks: 6,555.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby curlysue » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Adorable! i raise Netherlands too.

BunnyBucks: 48,829.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby skysthelimit » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Hi,

Welcome. I'm one of those people who started raising bunnies as an alternative for my raw fed dogs. I figured if I'm going to raise them, I might as well show them. I'm not sure about the pet market, got enough problems with them and dogs, most of the culls will be fed to the dogs so I can keep the pelts.
German Shepherds*Rush Hour Rabbitry*Rex *Jersey Wooly*French Angora
http://www.foursquaremicrofarm.us

BunnyBucks: 1,777.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby Bramble Hedge » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:43 am

Welcome Bunny, I started with Netherlands then moved onto holland lop and now getting into red satins. Your buns are just so cute, I love the last pic the little orange and white kit.
:) Hearty discussion is the sharing of knowledge = and knowledge is never a bad thing :)

:pinkbunny: http://www.minilop.webs.com :pinkbunny:

BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:26 am

Hi Blackbunny!

I think it is wonderful that you love your reptiles enough to raise their food yourself. Better for the bunnies too. You have adorable rabbits! (When do we get to see pics of the oh-so-kissable snakes?)

Welcome to RT! I hope you like it here!
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Post Number:#15  Unread postby BlackBunny » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:57 pm

@skysthelimit Its so nice being able to feed your pets with food you know the history of, I don't sell a lot of bunnies as pets, 5 over this year and 2 of those went to a ND breeder. Sometimes I get a really wonderful rabbit that I can't use and if I can find a home that really wants a bunny and understands rabbit care then ok, I do have a "will take anybunny back" policy.

You wanna see super cute snakie pics mammasheepdog then ok here are my snakes
Here are my devowers of dead peanuts and kits, Snow White the "snow" corn snake and Ghost her "blizzard" mate
And here is Loki my big redtail girl, she's about 18lbs and will take a 3-4lbs rabbit once every 3 weeks to a month.
I also have a almost 2 year old male boa, Apophis he'll take the inbetween sizes
They are very nice snakes to help me keep down by bunnies, which is up to 30 today with the arrival of 5 new sqirmy babies as of 10 this morning ^u^.

Next