I am having a hard time choosing JUST ONE...help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DumansArk

Reaction score
I was only going to keep one. Really. The curliest one - but LOOK AT HOW PRETTY THEY ALL ARE! They started out smudge grey, and sabled on me. Lord knows I love their sire's line - sables, sables, SABLES!!!! I am thinking of keeping the curly one for the Astrex program and then one other one just for fun. They are Muppet's half sisters, so maybe work on a woolie line.

So who would you keep based on looks alone?

Attachments

• dumansark_muffinsmirage_daughters_1812.jpg
    dumansark_muffinsmirage_daughters_1812.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 2,284
  • dumansark_muffinsmirage_daughters_facing-1812.jpg
    dumansark_muffinsmirage_daughters_facing-1812.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 2,284
  • dumansark_muffinsdelight_girls_rumps.jpg
    dumansark_muffinsdelight_girls_rumps.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 2,284
  • dumansark_muffinsmirage_lightdoe_1812.jpg
    dumansark_muffinsmirage_lightdoe_1812.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 2,284
  • dumansark_muffinsmirage_sablegirl_h.jpg
    dumansark_muffinsmirage_sablegirl_h.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 2,284
  • dumansark_muffinsmirage-daughters-coatcloseup1512.jpg
    dumansark_muffinsmirage-daughters-coatcloseup1512.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 2,284
  • dumansark_muffinsmirage_kit_closeup1512.jpg
    dumansark_muffinsmirage_kit_closeup1512.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 2,284
  • dumansark_muffinsdelight_shadedkits_1512.jpg
    dumansark_muffinsdelight_shadedkits_1512.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 2,284
I think you need to resign yourself to keeping all three. Sad... sigh.

Of course, you must keep the curly girl... the light sable has more contrast of shades- highly desirable! A must keep for the Sable Line... and a little bird told me that the dark sable is already engaged to Muppet.

I think I would be in trouble for cage space if I was you. They all are beautiful! Are they a line of Rex? I don't know much about rabbit breeds but wow I love these.

of the first two pictured.... if "I" were keeping them... I'd keep the shorter haired one. her marks seem cleaner.

BUT you want one for your curlies..so keep that one. I'd rebreed the parents and then keep a replica out of the next litter. Saves you cage space for now. :) with this many in the one litter you are bound to get one or three in the next litter. :)

Thanks guys!! :)

Ladysown, that is very good advice. I'll either follow that (the cleaner marking kit is really, really nice looking), or sell the parents and keep these three.

currituckbun: you summed it up perfectly! :D
Their sire is a mini rex that started out life with an Astrex coat. He's young, so we'll see if he grows it back in.<br /><br />__________ Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:12 pm __________<br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":3a0njto8 said:
I think you need to resign yourself to keeping all three. Sad... sigh.

Of course, you must keep the curly girl... the light sable has more contrast of shades- highly desirable! A must keep for the Sable Line... and a little bird told me that the dark sable is already engaged to Muppet.

:lol: :rotfl: :rotfl:

That little bird just might be right!!! :lol:

I agree with ladysown- of the 2 non-curlies I'd keep the lighter doe. She's not carrying the coveted disqualifying coat mutations, but she has a beautifully refined head and is the prettier and more feminine of the two.

I'd keep the parents over the darker sable and see what shows up in the nestbox next time.

just for fun I asked my six year old which one would be better to keep pointing to the lighter of the two in the first pic he said "that one". when asked why "it looks nicer to me".

This boy is starting to be able to pick the better rabbits in my herd when I show him a bunch of five-six week old kits. He'll be better than me over time as long as he stays interested in them. :)

These are all Smoke Pearls. The lighter one is a smoke pearl marten which adds the otter pattern which is probably why it draws everyone's eye. The white markings highlight the blue a little more. As for which one I have no idea on the standard, so I guess its the one that fits what you want the best! Are you trying to get back into the Siamese sable or do you want to stay with the dilute? They also all have totally different fur types, so I would think that one on the left with the scrunchiest fur or is she the mother? She has the most interesting head, but if she is older than the other two then they may catch up on that head massiveness thingy :)

Devon's Mom Lauren":2vueockw said:
one on the left with the scrunchiest fur has the most interesting head

She looks like a Bedlington terrier, with that Roman nose. I wonder if the contrast is so marked because of the fur type.

Poor Duman... she tries to breed rabbits, and gets ones that look like cavies, terriers, and who knows what next. Sheesh!

ladysown":3rk2cmhp said:
just for fun I asked my six year old which one would be better to keep pointing to the lighter of the two in the first pic he said "that one". when asked why "it looks nicer to me".

This boy is starting to be able to pick the better rabbits in my herd when I show him a bunch of five-six week old kits. He'll be better than me over time as long as he stays interested in them. :)

That is WONDERFUL! So in a few years we can expect to see not only Ladysown but YoungMasterSown on RT! :) (And after watching the latest Batman series I hear "Master ___" exclusively in Michael Caine's voice)

__________ Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:12 pm __________

Bramble Hedge":3rk2cmhp said:
Problem solved - SEND THEM ALL TO ME :)

HA HA HA HA!!!! Thanks Bramble! :D That WOULD solve this problem - because dog gone, I still like the dark girl. I think MamaSheepdog was right: she is already engaged to Muppet - I am so curious about this woolie gene and she has fur a lot like his.

I am thinking of sending my Mini Lop to a friend, (I don't have a buck for her anyway) and... well, that's as far as I got. I like the rest of them too much!

In March I am breeding my Elop doe and WHERE am I going to put the babies?? Sigh. So Bramble, HOW many do you want? GRIN!!!<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:16 pm __________<br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":3rk2cmhp said:
Devon's Mom Lauren":3rk2cmhp said:
one on the left with the scrunchiest fur has the most interesting head

She looks like a Bedlington terrier, with that Roman nose. I wonder if the contrast is so marked because of the fur type.

Poor Duman... she tries to breed rabbits, and gets ones that look like cavies, terriers, and who knows what next. Sheesh!
:rotfl:
You missed out on a line of Dutch Harlequins I had the (dis)pleasure of owning; the does had the temperments and attack postures of velocirators.

So cavies, terriers, and DINOSAURS! :D

Bedlington Terrier; YES! Ha, that is indeed what she looks like. :)

Eenie, Meenie, Miney, Moe, How will you ever choose? :lol:
If I where you, I would keep which ever one you need the most. There will always be more popples in the nestbox(Almost typed litterbox.. HA) And maybe next time there will be a few even better.

......Oh what the heck keep them all.

Devon's Mom Lauren":zz0k6bsk said:
These are all Smoke Pearls. The lighter one is a smoke pearl marten which adds the otter pattern which is probably why it draws everyone's eye. The white markings highlight the blue a little more. As for which one I have no idea on the standard, so I guess its the one that fits what you want the best! Are you trying to get back into the Siamese sable or do you want to stay with the dilute? They also all have totally different fur types, so I would think that one on the left with the scrunchiest fur or is she the mother? She has the most interesting head, but if she is older than the other two then they may catch up on that head massiveness thingy :)

Thanks Lauren!

...And I had this really nice response written out, then I bumped a link and lost everything... sigh.
To retry:
The scrunchy fur is as you first thought a sister. They are full sisters from the same litter.
Originally my goal was to pair the buck from the Astrex program to the offspring of a very nice doe that had passed away. Color wasn't a consideration; only coat type & temperment. For Astrex coat purposes, the Scrunchy is a definite keeper. But Jana is right: "Heck, just keep them all!" :p So now my goal is to Build More Rabbit Cages. Next it will be Build Bigger Bunny Barn. And after that it will be Escape From Padded Cell Dear Family has Sent Me To... What's that term again? Galloping Rabbitosis?? How do I know for sure if I have it?

I'm having dreams of 30x48" shelving unit cages from floor to ceiling and the ceiling of our stable is 20'. or maybe I could just build a second level on top of the 8' high stalls and double our space... :lol:

:lol: Thanks MaggieJ! I'd be worried, but they are too pretty to make me scared... soooo far :D

Back