Honesty in dealing with pet people

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
So i have a person wanting to get a female bunny as a pet from my precocious Biscuit.

This is what I wrote to that person:

Minimum cage size you'll want for one of these girls will be 24 x 30 inches. You will want to get her spayed at maturity.

I like their momma. She's one of my best rabbits. She likes me... BUT she is not real keen on strangers. She's my watch bunny. She's demanding, likes things on her schedule, she has a WHOLE lot of character...and I love it! She does not bite. Does even think about it with me. Does well with my six year old, tolerates his effusiveness really well. BUT hubby can't stick his hands in her cage without doing some soft talking with her - he talks to her, she smells him and as long as she's not wanting to be bred is good with him. I have little tolerance for nasty rabbits and won't breed them.. but a communicative rabbit such as this one makes me smile. She is an excellent, very smart rabbit who keeps me on my toes. She is one of five of my rabbits who knows her name and will come when called if I let her out to run.

BUT smart, communicative rabbits, particularly if female, need to be bred OR they need to be spayed. There simply is not a lot of middle ground with smart rabbits. Which is why I worded things as I did in the ad.

Her boys will be better overall as pets. They won't have those female hormones to deal with. And boys don't get as large as females. That's the way of the bunny world. :)
-----

Hubby thinks I was clear enough, what do you all think?

I think that was very well put. I think its very important to be honest when selling a rabbit. It doesnt matter who your selling to if your dishonest..your putting your reputation on a very thin line. I think the people should understand the situation and hopefully settle for one of the bucks.

I get a lot of people asking for does for pets.I always tell them bucks make better pets.

thing is I don't mind selling the does as pets. Many will make for a good pet. But this litter, I can tell in the little ones already that they will be like their mom. The boys are SO laid back, but the girl kits have that look about them that they will be like their momma.

That was a well written litter, and shows you are committed to finding a good match for bunny/owner and are not just unloading rabbits to anyone with the cash to buy one.

yes Maggie...I caught that after I wrote her and added it...should have edited by response here but I just didn't catch it here. (go figure eh). :)

Fortunately the buyer is a pet person who actually listens so is looking at getting a buck from me instead. I was careful how I worded the ad stating they'd be great as breeders, but as a pet would need to be spayed. Not expecting to sell any of them...but one never knows. :)

I hate selling does as pets for the reasons you mention—too few will actually spay, I'd DEFINITELY rather them not breed (dilutes my market for my pet bucks) and if they don't do either, I just end up getting calls from rescue or seeing them passed around on CL. It has been the very rare pet buyer that I have sold does to. Bucks are just such better pets.

Back