Good grief!! I'm not cut out for this rabbit lark

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoggie

Reaction score
Last but one litter we had was a combined litter of 8. So when we split them from mum, we divided them into boys and girls. 5 boys and 3 girls. In the boys hutch, there was one bully and eventually we had to move out 2 of his victims as they had cuts all over their rear ends. I was due to butcher these buns some time this week. DD came to me last night - the little grey one's had babies!!!!!!

Suddenly it all became clear - 2 of my boys are girls, one boy has decided he is boss and has been seeing off the opposition. AAARRRRGGGHHH - so the chances are the other doe is now expecting as well, so I guess we have 2 new does. And I checked them so carefully as well :( Mind you, one of them is the little funny coloured one that I posted a pic of over on HT some time ago - she is very pretty, but I thought she was a boy LOL

I suppose we are going to be eating LOTS of bunny for a while LOL. And then I think I am going to have to just butcher them smaller/sooner.

hoggie

Hoggie, things like this happen occasionally. Just make sure the new does have what they need and all will be well. It might be a good idea to butcher earlier... If they are having babies, they are definitely of butchering age. Most people feeding pellets butcher around 10 - 12 weeks. Those feeding hay/grain/greens have to wait a little longer - about 16 weeks.

Latest posts

Back