here's a dumb question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brody

Reaction score
if you have a rabbit that looks like a purebred but you have no papers can you show it?
which leads me to part two - even if it has no tattoo? can you tattoo it yourself (OOUCH) with whatever code you want and then show it??
somebody smart explain this to me ;)

Not dumb at all (and my reply does not in any way imply that I think I'm smart :roll: )

No papers are required to show a rabbit. In fact, the rabbit itself doesn't need to be purebred, but it DOES need to be a very good/representative sample of the breed you have entered it as. There is an American Standard (ARBA) and a Canadian Standard (DRCBA) and I believe County Fairs have different standards entirely. So, as long as the rabbit meets all the qualifications of the Standard being used for the show you are attending, it's safe to enter.

ARBA shows require a tattoo, DRCBA shows give you a number to write in the ear and I'm not sure what County Fairs ask for or if it varies depending on the rules of the Fair.

I think you are brilliant ...

so my little jersey wooly babies if they stay good sizes and type for breed could be shown even though I don't know who dad is for one litter and I have no info on dad really for the other litter?

do I need their birthdays?

are rabbits always babies when shown?

see what you've unleashed?

thanks

no, not always babies when they are shown.

you can write in their ear whatever number you want. Generally speaking if you buy a rabbit and the breeder wants a certain tattoo you should try to honour it. (at least that's what makes sense to me, it's not written in stone -- more of a courtesy thing).

They have minimum standards (size/weight) that they need to meet before they can be shown.

I'm new to showing though so there's much yet I don't know. :)

so I could develop my own tat system that makes sense to me? are there guidelines?

not sure I could actually tattoo anything - I don't even have pierced ears myself ;)

what I've been told is develop a system that works for you with the tattoo system that you have.

I have only numbers. So I started with one and can do up to 110 without complications. :) after that I'll have to miss numbers or get more numbers or go to a difference system. I'm currently at 19 so I've a long way to go. :) I ONLY tattoo what I show. Some folks tattoo everything...which if all your rabbits are black, white or blue...makes sense no? :)

Brody":2z5ab1lj said:
so my little jersey wooly babies if they stay good sizes and type for breed could be shown even though I don't know who dad is for one litter and I have no info on dad really for the other litter?

do I need their birthdays?

are rabbits always babies when shown?

Rabbits are not always babies when shown. Jersey Wooly rabbits have two categories, junior and senior. Seniors are older than six months or when they reach a certain weight, which I don't recall at this moment.

Not having the actual birthdate only becomes an issue if you are showing them as juniors and someone challenges the entry. Without a pedigree it can be tough to prove. But nobody ever challenges an entry unless you are winning so it may not be a problem.

You will want to get a copy of the ARBA Standard of Perfection which has all the descriptions and weights for each breed of rabbits. This Standard is what rabbit judges will use to determine which rabbit is the best looking one on the table.

Available from ARBA
http://arba.net/publications.htm

Have a good day!

rabbitgeek":1zz5u2f6 said:
Not having the actual birthdate only becomes an issue if you are showing them as juniors and someone challenges the entry. Without a pedigree it can be tough to prove. But nobody ever challenges an entry unless you are winning so it may not be a problem

Have a good day!
thanks it's gone from grass growing warm to inches of snow overnight so it will be a challenging day I'm thinking but I'm off this week so I'll be enjoying it :)

I laughed about the no challenge unless you win - cause I'm pretty sure winning won't be happening - in fact I doubt entering will be but that's ok too - I appreciate the education I'm getting here ;)

Your tattoos can be any combination of letters or numbers you choose. I used to tattoo the rabbit's name into the ear. I once knew a person who had a ridiculously long tattoo (over 20 characters) in an English Lop's ear. Although it was still "legal", it did irritate some judges. Most people try to keep their ear numbers five or fewer characters. :)

what do you all think of the farm initials (VH - very hairy actually spelled Vareharri - a mix of our names but so fitting) then a number? what about using odd and even numbers for sex? so female rabbit one might be VH1 while male rabbit 6 would be VH12?

as if I'm even tattooing anything .. ;)
intersting to think about though .. so while we are talking tats .. what do you guys use a pen or a set?

My rabbitry name is Down the Rabbit Hole, so my initial tattoos were DRH-- using a clamp. Which was fine until I got to DRH100. I tattoo at 6-8 weeks old and 6 characters was just not fitting well in the small ears. I did switch to a pen so I could do smaller letters, but getting a rabbit to hold still for 6 characters was another trial.

Then I switched to my initials KL--- which is only 5 characters, and I bought a smaller set of clamps. So far, this has worked really well and I'm only at KL280, so I've got a long way to go before I need to worry about rabbit #1000 :D

ok - thats great info - thanks

i don't know about clamping baby jersy ears - they are TINY at 4 weeks ...
which hurts more - pen or clamp?

Brody":21gte1sj said:
what do you all think of the farm initials (VH - very hairy actually spelled Vareharri - a mix of our names but so fitting) then a number? what about using odd and even numbers for sex? so female rabbit one might be VH1 while male rabbit 6 would be VH12?

as if I'm even tattooing anything .. ;)
intersting to think about though .. so while we are talking tats .. what do you guys use a pen or a set?

VH followed by numbers or letters are definitely allowable. Using odd/even numbers for sex work until the "Sex Change Fairy" shows up to change rabbits.

I prefer the clamp with small letters/numbers at 5-6 weeks. It's quicker than the pen. The tattoo also grows as the ear grows and are very distinct in seniors. My lovely wife prefers the pen.

Have a good day!

Brody":3mjnxl3t said:
ohhh good point - SCF will hit without doubt ... :angel:

Sometimes the SCF hits at the show - between judges! :lol: My friend showed his jr Harlequin doe, and I believe it won the class under the first judge. The second judge disqualified it, because it was actually a buck! The judges do check. :)

Back