Register

You be the judge: is this 100% Dried & Sifted Rabbit Manure?

From vermiculture and selling rabbit manure to rent-a-bunny for Easter photographs, this forum is a place to discuss other ideas for making a profit from rabbits.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,777.00

Re: You be the judge: is this 100% Dried & Sifted Rabbit Manure?

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Bramble Hedge » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:46 pm

Have a look at a product called diatomaceous earth its used in permaculture and is very good for reducing odors, fleas as well as an enormous amount of other good things. Looks just like sand and mixes well.
:) Hearty discussion is the sharing of knowledge = and knowledge is never a bad thing :)

:pinkbunny: http://www.minilop.webs.com :pinkbunny:

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Bramble Hedge wrote:Have a look at a product called diatomaceous earth its used in permaculture and is very good for reducing odors, fleas as well as an enormous amount of other good things. Looks just like sand and mixes well.

Make sure to buy "food grade" though! I love D.E.- I feed it to everything. I didn't know about the odor control aspect... I'm going to go spray (blow) it onto the bunnyberries now! They'll be pre-seasoned for the garden that way.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

The following user would like to thank MamaSheepdog for this post
Bramble Hedge

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,400.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:53 pm

:zombiebun: Wow, talk about resurrecting an old thread! LOL

http://www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
~A micro-attempt at self-sufficiency~

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,231.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Miss M » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:39 am

TeamHillbilly wrote:yep I saw that over there too I run my rabbit manure through a shredder then it looks kinda like the photo,but I mix my own MM for the sqf garden too. :mrgreen:

I never heard of running manure through a shredder! You mean, like a paper shredder?

Bramble Hedge wrote:Have a look at a product called diatomaceous earth its used in permaculture and is very good for reducing odors, fleas as well as an enormous amount of other good things. Looks just like sand and mixes well.

Yes, I have food-grade DE. I've used it to treat fur mites, and to reduce flies. :)

OneAcreFarm wrote::zombiebun: Wow, talk about resurrecting an old thread! LOL

Yeah, :lol:
We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,340.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby hoodat » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:46 pm

The only trouble (if you can call it that) is that worms love it so much it disappers in a hurry but it sure produces a lot of worms.
Lots of people talk to animals.... Not very many listen, though.... That's the problem.

Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:58 pm

hoodat wrote:The only trouble (if you can call it that) is that worms love it so much it disappers in a hurry but it sure produces a lot of worms.

Love what so much? The DE or the bunnyberries?

Miss M I've used it for flies, too. They were roosting in the rafters of the bunnybarn at night, and I used my Dustin-mizer (powder blower) to coat them and the rafters, and within a couple of days they were gone. Our grey mare gets attacked by the little cattle flies, and the DE works far better than fly spray. Hung in a burlap bag in the pasture, livestock will actually self treat themselves by bumping it, but I haven't tried that yet. They'd probably eat the bag! The chickens like to dust bathe in it. I also blast it on any plants that have aphids, but only before they flower because it kills pollinators as well. Mixed with your grain it will kill weevils and moths. Every so often the kids and I will take it for a couple months ourselves, as an internal cleanse.

We had bedbugs one year from the maternal bat colony that nests in our roof (drat them! :) ) and sprinkled it around the bed and along the baseboards, as well as the bat's access to their "grotto" in hopes they'd self treat, and it killed those little bloodsuckers too (bugs, not bats!)... but not before they had a couple of meals from us- well, mostly ME! This year we didn't have any bedbugs, although the bats returned despite the expanding foam Hubs used to keep them out... so I guess it worked for them too!
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Previous