Strange observation

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half Caper Farm

Reaction score
I had two black NZ does kindle this weekend - both bred to a Harlequin buck (cuz that's what I have!). Both had one dead kit in the litter - both were Harlequin marked. The black kits were all healthy and lively.

Coincidence? :shock:

The Harlequin doe that kindled was just a trainwreck. Had them in the box, pulled lots of fur, kits all over the box, all dead. :evil: First timer, so she gets another chance. :roll:

No idea if it is coincidence or not. Were the two DOA kits the only Harlequins in those two litters?

Sorry your Harlequin doe didn't do better. At least she got some things right... Chances are good she'll do better next time. Are you breeding her back right away?

I always think things like that are weird

all one colour grows faster (or slower)
all one sex dies young

many strange things seem to happen in the animal world - I can see why you think there might be a connection

MaggieJ":m4o910zg said:
No idea if it is coincidence or not. Were the two DOA kits the only Harlequins in those two litters?

Sorry your Harlequin doe didn't do better. At least she got some things right... Chances are good she'll do better next time. Are you breeding her back right away?

Yep, those were the only Harlie coloured ones in the litters. :shock:

I've got a couple of other does that didn't do well in the last few days, I'll probably work on breeding them this week. One was an experienced doe, but all I found from her were two half-eaten kits, a day apart. :(

Not a great weekend. One of my goats kidded on Friday and she wasn't due until this Saturday. The buck kid was stillborn (which may have triggered it) and the little doe survived until Sunday afternoon. Went out to the barn this morning, and another doe was down and yelling. One buck kid at 6:30, as soon as I'm done my coffee I'm going out to see if there's anymore. I think I could feel a second one. :)

Sorry you lost the 2 kits. :(

Genetics is a funny thing. When you breed any critter for just one thing (in this case, the color pattern) you run the risk of bringing along problems.

Of course, it can always just be coincidence. Without some gene mapping, you will never know. Isn't life FUN? :roll:

But I'm not breeding for colour! These are NZ does, bred to a Harlequin buck (because I don't have a NZ buck yet), so you would think that hybrid vigour would be a factor. :shock: Another black doe kindled this morning - 8 black kits, no Harlies, no dead ones. I dunno.

Only one goat kid, but he's strong and sturdy and doing well. Two more goat does ready to pop any day now. :D

thing is, the harlequin would carry that deadly gene...and in the first generation it would crop up from time to time. (assuming we're actually talking about a gene here and not just coincidence, which is probably what it is :) 2 is a VERY low number for any kind of study)

Once in a while, after years of breeding it out...you'd still get a throw back. Like with chickens. Even tho they've been bred for many generations in ONE breed (like, say, the Marans) you get throwbacks to one of the original chicken types and you'll end up with this known purebred Marans...who looks like a jungle fowl and lays light brown eggs. Or you might have an animal (Bubba) who has WHITE LEFT FOOT in his background back 6 generations..that gene stays in the pool thru luck of the draw...then one day Bubba is bred to Muffie who ALSO has WHITE LEFT FOOT in her background back 6 or 7 generations. and by golly..that WHITE LEFT FOOT gene pops up in one offspring! (so, if you don't want WHITE LEFT FOOT in your animals, you cull both Bubba and Muffie and all the kits..or at least don't breed those two again)

Obviously you need a black NZ buck for those prejudiced does!!

Don't forget that there's one sitting here waiting for you :)

moonkitten":24lasc7h said:
Obviously you need a black NZ buck for those prejudiced does!!

Don't forget that there's one sitting here waiting for you :)

Don't worry - I haven't forgotten about him! Just need a spot to put him . . . :?

Someone on London Kijiji is looking for a broken black NZ, so I gave them your website addy - didn't think you'd mind. :D

Back