Brought back from the dead!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
I found two kits outside the box this am, one totally chilled with full belly the otehr in back of the box and barely alive!

I cupped it in my hands and began breathing on it. after a few minutes it was evident i was barely in time. I put in in the box with its 7 siblings and it seems to be ok!

Miss M":2ty9zaj5 said:
Wow! Glad you saved the one! Poor little popples. So... "totally chilled" = dead, I take it...

With rabbits - and sometimes poultry too - young animals go comatose on their way to death from chilling. They look and feel cold and dead, but there is still a spark of life there. If thoroughly warmed, sometimes you can bring them back. Even then they do not always survive long-term... it is a major stressor, as you can imagine, and some succumb a day or so later. All you can do is try.

I remember reading on a poultry forum about a chick or turkey poult - can't remember now - that appeared dead. The person put it on the dashboard of her car while she did the other chores because she didn't want the dog to eat it and develop bad habits. Sunny day... warm on the dashboard... The little one was alive and cheeping when she came back.

It will be interesting to see if this one grow as well as it's sibs. I saved a couple from near death and they ended up as the runts of the litter.

Kat

Latest posts

Back