Increasing Rufus Modifiers

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramble Hedge

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with any good sites or just your own general knowledge on the subject of increasing the number of Rufus Modifiers in a breeding line to intensify my reds? Thanks

:bunnyhop:

all I know about increasing them is to either breed it in, OR to just over time...breed the best reds to the others and keep on breeding for the best reds.

Rufus modifiers are simple. Go get a brighter red or just keep the best reds and keep breeding them to concentrate the modifiers more each generation. I haven't heard of any other color that will intensify red. Usually red is the one being used to intensify other colors

Yep, there is no quick fix on reds, you can't cross out to other colors to improve it. You need to find one good rabbit with the color you want and raise out all the babies you can to a senior coat. Watch both top color and carry through for intensity. Beware smut, not sure what breed you're working on but you have to watch out for fade on the skirt and lap spots on some breeds (like mine).

Red can be a color that develops its intensity slowly in my experience, so don't ditch those babies until you see their senior coat coming in!

Thanks very much guys I am just starting out with New Zealand's and we do not have New Zealand Red in Aus so I am having to introduce the colour from orange rabbits.

Latest posts

Back