How long should I wait?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinityoaks

Reaction score
Bexar, my Cal buck, mounted one of my Cal does, Pola, three times. I can't swear she lifted (they're both BIG rabbits). They were facing me, and she was doing quite a bit of whimpering. The third time he actually seemed to fall off (backward), the first two not so much.

Then I put my other Cal doe, Vixen, in with him, but after a bit of chasing around, he didn't seem too interested. Should I wait a while before I try them again? How long? I want to get both does bred the same day, if possible, so that I can foster litters if need be.

Is he a bit on the heavy side? If so, he was likely feeling the exertion and not inclined to chase Vixen around. You don't need to wait to try him again with her, except to let him catch his breath and maybe rest for an hour. And while you're at it, you may as well toss Pola back in too. It sounds to me as though he just scored once. Do it afterwards, though, since you want to give Vixen a shot while he's still fresh.

It's also possible that he sensed that Vixen was not interested and was not inclined to push her. Some bucks are more gentlemanly than others. :D

MaggieJ":22sgpob9 said:
Is he a bit on the heavy side?
I don't know. All three of my Cals are just BIG rabbits (at least compared with my Zils). I just don't have a good feel for what's normal for Cals.

You don't need to wait to try him again with her, except to let him catch his breath and maybe rest for an hour.
We waited an hour, and then put Vixen in with him again. He mounted her once and fell off, but after that he didn't seem too interested. Chased her around a bit, but mostly just sat and groomed himself.

It's also possible that he sensed that Vixen was not interested and was not inclined to push her. Some bucks are more gentlemanly than others. :D
Should we try both does again later this evening, or maybe tomorrow? I was hoping to give my three Zil does a try with him tomorrow, but I guess I can wait for another time with the Zils.

MaggieJ":tq6xqg9k said:
Why not do it this evening? That way you could still breed the Zil does tomorrow.
I could do that. I just wasn't sure how much time I should wait before trying again with Pola and Vixen.

I prefer to breed the does within a 12 hour window. Much more than that and some of the kits, conceived later, might possibly be at a disadvantage. Because rabbits have two horns to their uterus, they have the ability to conceive two separate sets of kits. At least, that's my understanding.

In a large rabbitry, where a buck is getting regular use, it might be necessary to space breedings so that he is not overworked. In a small rabbitry, however, he is in no danger of this... so let him live it up for the couple of days of breeding activity. You may even find that tomorrow he is more eager than today.

Well, the deed is done, and hopefully we'll have two litters of Cal popples in a few weeks. The previous owner told me that their last two litters were 12 and 15.

Tomorrow--the Zils! Wish me success! AFAIK, Chica has never let herself be bred (not for lack of trying!).

Latest posts

Back